THANKS! Penn long beach 60

Started by Dueler, August 01, 2011, 02:45:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dueler

I've come here many times over the last few years...started off by googling a topic, and being directed here, but I book marked the site, and have enjoyed reading many threads about various topics.

I've found this to be a rare forum, where most, if not all members are respectful, and treat each other with a degree of respect not found on too many forums.

I had to register in order to make a thread, obviously, but I wasn't going to just let the help I received from this site go unnoticed, and without me saying thanks.

I took apart my beautiful Penn Long beach 60 last Friday, but I inadvertently opened the right side plate, exposing, and dropping out the internals before I could see where the parts were prior to them falling out. This was a rookie move to begin with, but I thought I could just put it back together no problem- How wrong I was with that assumption!

I called a Penn parts and service shop who was willing to put it back together for me for what I considered a more than fair price for my goof up. The lady was kind enough to direct me here to see if there was a tutorial  on a long beach 60. I could find that, but I did notice the Penn 111 was very similar, and used that to guide me.

So there I was Saturday morning with a cup of coffee, all the parts to my long beach, and this website. I was able to get the reel back together, and get this- It actually works! I owe that to the Penn 111 tutorial I followed as a guide. So Thanks! I'm pretty sure a kid could follow the steps in these tutorials and be able to service any reel they wanted. I'm now going to go to a thread I saw the other day about adding pictures. I clicked the insert image tab above, but it just added which does me no good. I want to be able to share this beautiful reel for all to see. It's the nicest old Penn I've ever seen, without a spec of corrosion anywhere on it.

Dominick

Dueler:  Do not use the additional options button. Just cut and paste the "img code" from Photobucket in your post.  Then hit the preview button to see if the photo is there.  It is that easy.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Norcal Pescador

Welcome to the forum, Dueler. You picked the right tutorial to use and many of the Penns are so similar you shouldn't have any trouble doing more reels. ;)
Rob
Rob

Measure once, cut twice. Or is it the other way around? ::)

"A good man knows his limits." - Inspector Harry Callahan, SFPD

Bryan Young

Aloha Dueler,

Welcome.  Glad you dropped in from time-to-time and now join reel people.   :D

We, the Administrators, Moderators, and Members strive to keep this site where the main goal is to help and encourage other who are DIY types to work on their own reels.  Also, for those who might think they have the ability, and some do not, realize the work and ability or tools it takes to service or maintain the reels to now value individuals that actually service reels.

If you need help on any future reels that you may do a rookie move again, we are here to help.

Bryan
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Dueler

Thanks guys. I've always serviced my own reels forever. I'm usually smart enough to at least take a digital picture of something if I think i may have trouble remembering how something was together..in this case, I had a parts explosion prior to even seeing how the parts were in there. Without using the tutorial as a guide, there was no chance I would get it back together myself. I was ready to pack her up. Here are the pictures once I got her back together- Like I said, the sweetest old Penn I've ever seen. Get this I got it at a yard sale on an old Daiwa Apollo casting rod.

Dueler

BTW- Thanks Dom for the info on photobucket. I was trying to do them straight from my yahoo account, but couldn't get that figured out...So I went ahead and created a photobucket account. Pretty easy to upload from there.

Nessie Hunter

Welcome!!   Good job, where there is a will, there is a way!!! 
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....
WOW!!! WHAT A RIDE!

Dominick

Quote from: Dueler on August 02, 2011, 02:20:29 PM
BTW- Thanks Dom for the info on photobucket. I was trying to do them straight from my yahoo account, but couldn't get that figured out...So I went ahead and created a photobucket account. Pretty easy to upload from there.

Dueler:  Good for you on the photos.  Now I have to convince Broadway Dom that it is easy.  I might be back in NY near the end of the month.  If I am back there, I will give Dom a tutorial ;D.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Dueler

Quote from: Nessie Hunter on August 02, 2011, 03:30:40 PM
Welcome!!   Good job, where there is a will, there is a way!!! 

Thanks- Yes.. I immensely enjoyed doing it that way (following a tutorial)....Actually, what I think I enjoyed most was the fact that I actually found something close enough to my reel that I could follow and had it actually work upon completion ;-)

I've spent years as a hotel/building engineer, and have always been mechanically inclined, so I have no problems taking things apart, and putting them back together. I've been an internet engineer for over a decade now, and really miss working with my hands...So I unnecessarily pull things apart and service them from time to time :)

I've NEVER used this particular reel. I was just bored, so I pulled it off the wall, and off the rod it was on, and thought I had it to where I'd never get it back together..Until I found checked here- and I'm extremely grateful!

Dueler

Quote from: Pescachaser on August 02, 2011, 06:34:55 PM
Quote from: Dueler on August 02, 2011, 02:20:29 PM

Dueler:  Good for you on the photos.  Now I have to convince Broadway Dom that it is easy.  I might be back in NY near the end of the month.  If I am back there, I will give Dom a tutorial ;D.  Dominick

Thanks (mental note- there are 2 Dom's)

alantani

welcome!  i had left most of this website locked up at the very beginning because of just those concerns.  without all of the help from the moderators, it will still be.  the hard part was coming up with a standard of conduct.  that's when i came up with the 12 year old rule.  i think it has made this place what it is.  alan
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!