Penn Fathom Reels

Started by Snagged2, August 03, 2011, 12:27:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Snagged2

Howdy,,

Today I ran across a reel that looks interesting,, the Penn Fathom series reels..
Anybody, have any thoughts on these??
I'm looking at these for their potential as heavy Flathead Catfish reels..
quality, rebuildability,, etc..
Thanks
Greg

redsetta

G'day Greg,
There's already been a bit of discussion about the new Fathom.
Have a look here: http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=2536.0
Roger noted that they're not out till October.
All the best, Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

Alto Mare

I just google it and it appears that many stores have them in stock, depending  on the size that you're looking for. Amazon.com seems to have the best deal on them, check it out for yourself.  hope this helps.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Snagged2

Thanks Guys,,
Be great to get inside one and see ,, what's what!!
It is made of some type of cast metal for the frame and sideplates,, and,, with that, I'm hoping for some rebuild potential when necessary..
If anyone has done any surgery on one, I'd appreciate the feedback from that also!
Otherwise, they have some nice amenities.
Greg

Roger

Ya'll talking about the Fathom W/Levelwind or without?
Roger

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."   Mark Twain

Irish Jigger

Quote from: Roger on August 04, 2011, 11:05:50 PM
Ya'll talking about the Fathom W/Levelwind or without?

Without.

Snagged2

I was actually inquiring about the Levelwind reels,, but, any "inside" info would be appreciated!!  LOL

Irish Jigger

akfish

I have a Fathom 40 that I got for my girlfriend to use for Alaska halibut. It's a nice reel: smooth with plenty of drag. Her biggest so far this summer has been a 70# fish. That fish pushed her pretty hard but the reel held up without any problems. Of course, I don't know how it will hold up over the long run, but it seems well made. I recommend it if you need a level wind for bottom fishing.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska