how do i remove a screw with a stripped head???/

Started by Tassie Fisher, August 03, 2011, 06:19:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tassie Fisher

I have a Spheros 14000 and need to remove the screws from the spool in order to clean and re-grease the washers, but i cannot get 1 screw out, it simply will not budge.
In trying to get it out the phillips head has basically become stripped of a gripping point for the screw driver

It costs more then $100 for a new spool and i don't want to have to buy one just because i can't get 1 screw loose

If anyone has any suggestions they would be greatly appreciated as i love using this reel and want to keep it running in good order

Pro Reel

You can drill the head off and then probably use the reel with one less screw in it. If you drill the head off, you might be able to grip whats left of the screw with some vise grips and turn it out. One other thing you could try would be to use a small cut off wheel on a dremmel and cut a slot in it, then use a standard screwdriver to remove it.

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Snagged2

If you can get a slot cut into it as mentioned above, ,,,before you try and remove it,, might try some type of penatrating lubricant,,with sufficient time to work,, then, sometimes,, the tip of a soldering iron applied to the head of the screw,,to warm it up,, might help relieve the friction..corrosion,etc

Tassie Fisher

No luck  :'(

Tried the dremmel and it couldn't cut deep enough into the screwhead to get a grip. ended up having to use a drill press and remove the head,
just to find that another screw had become stuck  >:(

Would there be any purpose in using the spool as both screws are on the one side, i'm guessing it would be fine for smaller fish just nothing challenging

Thanks for your help guys and i managed to get another spool.... and after using this site i will be greasing the screws before i use it!!!

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Tassie Fisher

Ummmm yeah alan but problem is I live in Australia :-\

So don't know if it would be worth posting

But thanks for the offer though much appreciated!!! (just wish I lived closer)

inhotpursuit

I bought this at a canadian tire superstore for $19.95 the smallest shaft is 1.66mm and it will remove the smallest of screws i have only had to use it twice and it grabbed a rounded off philips screw with no problem, just give the screw a good shot of wd 40 or similar release spray

Keta

Quote from: Tassie Fisher on August 17, 2011, 06:14:11 AM
..... ended up having to use a drill press and remove the head,

I have a set of small left hand drill bits, if you are lucky the bit grabs the screw when it is part way through it and the drill backs the screw out.  Try to use a bit that is 2 drill sizes smaller than the tap drill size (very small for most of the screws we deal with on reels). 
Center punch the screw and do this on your drill press unless you plan on replacing the part when you mis-drill it.  SS screws should be drilled slow RPM, lots of pressure (be careful with drill bits under 1/8") and lots of coolant or you will work harden part of the screw and you will never be able to drill it out.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

redsetta

QuoteSS screws should be drilled slow RPM, lots of pressure (be careful with drill bits under 1/8") and lots of coolant or you will work harden part of the screw and you will never be able to drill it out.
That's good advice - cheers Keta.
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

CaptDavDavis01

Just went thru this on a TLD.  4 reels with 5 frozen screws, got all 5 out in about 20 minutes, guess I got lucky.

The frame screws were about 90% stripped at the head. Instead of trying the regular way of backing the screw out, try to tighten it. You will have to use alot of pressue(think your bodyweight on the tiny screwdriver), and go slowly turning to the right. All you are trying to do is to get it to move. Once it does, then you back it out using the same lean on the screw driver method. A shot of penetrant probally wont hurt anything either.