Trouble removing screws

Started by Tassie Fisher, August 03, 2011, 06:30:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tassie Fisher

I have a Spheros 14000 and need to remove the screws from the spool in order to clean and re-grease the washers, but i cannot get 1 screw out, it simply will not budge.
In trying to get it out the phillips head has basically become stripped of a gripping point for the screw driver

It costs more then $100 for a new spool and i don't want to have to buy one just because i can't get 1 screw loose

If anyone has any suggestions they would be greatly appreciated as i love using this reel and want to keep it running in good order

plastic tiki

Have you got room to get some pliers or other gripping tool on to the screw head? other wise it's probably the drill to take the head off and then the pliers to twist that sucker out.
The perils of kayak fishing are great...... especially for the fish!

redsetta

You could also use a Dremel (or similar) to cut a flat-head slot in the stripped screw head.
Don't forget to soak in some penetrating oil around the thread to breakdown any corrosion etc.
Good luck, Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

Tassie Fisher

thanks for the suggestions will give it a go as i have access to a dremel, just hope i don't damae the spool at the same time. what type of penetration spray are we talking about??? i have inox spray, RP7 and alike but is there a better option???

Dominick

Tassie:  Check out this link on acetone and automatic transmission fluid as a penetrant. http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=1015.0   Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

redsetta

x2 on Dominck's post.
I've also had good results with Kroil (usually available from gunsmiths/gun shops), but there are plenty of options on the market.
Justin

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

redsetta

Drill and re-tap if at all possible, Tassie.
If you can't find a tap sufficiently small, an S/S screw of an appropriate size may do the trick (given it's an alloy spool).
The balance will be unaffected as the spool doesn't spin (unless under drag load), but the waterproof seal won't fasten down, of course.
I doubt this is critical, however, especially if you maintain the reel regularly.
Good luck!
Justin

Tassie Fisher

thanks justin, will give it a try. I am gonna have a crack at some stripey trumpeter tommorrow fingers crossed  ;D

borntofish

I know it's a bit late now but next time try heating the screw up (a cigarette lighter will do). It worked a treat on my old TTS-50 which I have discussed here recently.

qcguy4198

A quick reminder to all.....
When using any penetrant...BE PATIENT. My choice for a lot of "stuck screw/bolt" situations on things like my motorcycle, boat, trailer,etc... has been PB Blaster. Whatever your choice....for optimum results, remember that those products don't always work instantly. Get the product into the corroded area and letting it sit overnight will often help things break loose. Secure the workpiece, insert the tool and give it a few solid "taps" to help break things loose. Carefully applied heat is also a valid strategy if you can keep it local to the problem area. For real ( reel..??!!) small spaces, the tip of a soldering iron can provide pin-point heat to a small screw head.

Kurly Kiwi

I worked on an aluminium framed Abu Garcia reel. Because the screws used are stainless steel into aluminium, galvanic corrosion forms and they dont want to come out. I have used heat from a propane torch and got all but one screw out. The recovery process for this was to drill the screw out. Don't worry about drilling into the frame a bit. Once the screw has been removed you repair the area by drilling out (oversize) the hole and then pressing in a new piece of alunimium rod. All that is required now is to drill and tap the hole.
It's now as good as new. Hopefully some info here will help you with your problem.
Fishing is a privilege.