Penn 10 Mag tuned Reel Seat

Started by JRD, April 29, 2018, 08:27:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JRD

I've recently become obsessed  with these cool little reels.  Upgraded with Bryans 5 stack, Ketas stainless dogs and Toms stainless sleeve.  Ive read most guys are worried about level wind failure with higher drag levels, I can accept that risk but I'm worried about this light fresh water reel stand.

Has anybody found a more sturdy interchange of reel seats for this reel?

xjchad

I just checked a 30-60 from a Delmar and it fits great so the 30-85 will work as well.

Would be nice if there was one with provisions for a clamp!
I'll keep looking...
Husband, Father, Fisherman

Swami805

I checked my newell stash, a 220 base is too narrow,229 is too wide.
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Reel 224

JRD: I have upgraded the Mag 10 as you did and My wife has fished it and I for Fluke and found no problem with the reel seat or for that matter no problem with the reel, it's hold very well. If you are going to fish for bigger game fish I would go to a bigger reel myself. If you fishing fresh water the 10 can handle that.

Joe
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

Gman_WC

Years ago I fished the Mag10 for salmon mooching for kings up to 30# when mooching was in
back in the 80's.
Using an 8 foot limber rod and 12# Silver-Thread did the job.
The right rod and reel for the job. Like with any lvl wind, it would be used for finesse and
not power. Mag10 is the only Penn lvl wind I own.
It's been solid when not over fished for me.
-gary
Walnut Creek, CA

mo65

Quote from: xjchad on April 29, 2018, 10:14:35 PM
I just checked a 30-60 from a Delmar and it fits great so the 30-85 will work as well.

I'll keep looking...

If anyone really felt a clamping stand was needed for a Mag 10...the rare LB 60 clamp stand would work...but the screws are larger than what is used on the Mag 10 stock stand. Ditto for the #30-60 and #30-85, I reckon you could bore out the side plates if needed. 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

xjchad

Thanks for the heads up on the screws!  Didn't think to check those.  ::)

JRD

Quote from: Reel 224 on April 30, 2018, 01:15:25 PM
JRD: I have upgraded the Mag 10 as you did and My wife has fished it and I for Fluke and found no problem with the reel seat or for that matter no problem with the reel, it's hold very well. If you are going to fish for bigger game fish I would go to a bigger reel myself. If you fishing fresh water the 10 can handle that.

Joe

Joe I hear you BUT Im prone to over fish stuff.  Mine are modded.and strung with 50lb spectra.  Fishing bass there is always the chance for a 40lb white sea bass, 20 lb yellow tail or up to a couple hundred pound black sea bass.  95%.of.the time it's 1-3 pound bass.  Like I said I know I risk blowing up the level line mechanism but I don't want to have the reel ripped off the rod when that really light stand fold up on me. I am thinking of modifying the 30-60 stand since I have one whole reel that is kept as backup parts for the other three and will try just to see what it will look like in the end

Reel 224

JDR: I hear you bud,I am think like a custom rod builder and using a good Alps real seat to secure my reel. That could get mighty costly so go with Mikes suggestion. He has a point.

Joe 
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

xjchad

Quote from: mo65 on April 30, 2018, 05:38:19 PM
Quote from: xjchad on April 29, 2018, 10:14:35 PM

I'll keep looking...

If anyone really felt a clamping stand was needed for a Mag 10...the rare LB 60 clamp stand would work...but the screws are larger than what is used on the Mag 10 stock stand. Ditto for the #30-60 and #30-85, I reckon you could bore out the side plates if needed. 8)

Found a sweet deal on one of these LB 60's!  Clamp stand AND it appears to have an aluminum spool as well  ;D

xjchad

I have another idea I'm playing with on my current Mag 10 build.
Coming along slowly, but I'll post some info soon.

JRD

Quote from: xjchad on June 05, 2018, 03:36:00 PM

Waiting impatiently!!!

xjchad

Quote from: JRD on June 06, 2018, 05:18:24 AM

Waiting impatiently!!!

I'm sorry JRD! I'm waiting for some parts to come in and then I'll start a new thread for this build and link it here.   :)

xjchad

Quote from: JRD on June 06, 2018, 05:18:24 AM

Waiting impatiently!!!

Here's a link to the thread that will show my upgraded reel seat: http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=25555.0