113H Spool Question

Started by ijlal, August 03, 2011, 11:06:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ijlal

Hi Alan,

Hope you are doing good!

I recently purchased a used 113H that seemed in good condition. Gave the reel a complete strip off, washed and cleaned everything - The parts are all in perfect shape, indicating the reel has been used sparingly. Regreased everything as required and assembled the reel. It already has a stack of 5 HT100 washers and of course the regular fiber washer under the gear that I could not change. I was unable to pry out the two bearings so left them alone as they seemed in good shape.

The reel is working perfectly except that the spool starts spinning very slowly and then gaining speed as handle is cranked in free spool mode (with the pinion disengaged.) Now, the same does not happen in my (black) 113 Senator. The spool revolves but has no power in it so stopping the spool with thumb and cranking the handle does not make any difference in reel handle movement or reel sound. Is this something to worry about (I guess not; ) it seems some sort of inertia making the spool revolve. Should I disassemble the reel and take a look or can I leave it as is?

Thanks,
I live 'fishing'!

Alto Mare

The spool should be going the opposite direction when disengaged, and yes it's normal. I usually replace the fiber washer for under the main gear with the same carbon washer that I use in the gear , up to now it has been working out for me with no problems, but I leave that one up to you.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Alto Mare

Sorry mate, I just realized that your question was directed to Alan.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

broadway

Go to the the Reel Speed section of this website, and grab one of his handy dandy bearing puller sets... they work quite well for pulling bearings. Also, if you want the carbon fiber for under the main gear call Dawn she's got 'em.  Sal, answered your other questions already... I never beat Sal when it comes to answering a question... he's like Neo from the Matrix with this stuff!
Dom

ijlal

Quote from: Alto Mare on August 04, 2011, 12:23:59 AM
Sorry mate, I just realized that your question was directed to Alan.

Not a problem buddy! The question was addressed to Alan but everyone is welcome to give their feedback :)

As for the washer under the gear, I leave it unchanged not out of option but because I cannot get any here. One day I will order some from Dawn and then change the fiber washers in both my senators.

Thanks for your advice though!
I live 'fishing'!

alantani

cleaning the inside of the pinion gear with a solvent should take care of that problem.  the spool shaft is sticking to the inside of the pinion gear!
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

ijlal

Quote from: alantani on August 07, 2011, 09:23:44 PM
cleaning the inside of the pinion gear with a solvent should take care of that problem.  the spool shaft is sticking to the inside of the pinion gear!

Yup, you are right. There is Penn reel grease sticking the pinion to the shaft, but then I do not need to clean it as I do not intend to cast with the reel and there is enough free spool for letting out lures for trolling and dropping bait to the bottom.

Thanks for clearing up the mystery Alan!  :)
I live 'fishing'!