Penn SS vs SSM

Started by Harry, August 07, 2011, 01:53:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Harry

Hi guys, been cruising around ebay and fishing shops after a Penn 9500ss spincaster....Looks as if they've been replaced with the SSM.....

If there's anyone out there with a SSM can they give me the scoop? Are they as good as the SS? Havent used one but from what I can see they look a little less gutsy....

Cheers in advance.

akfish

I haven't seen a 96500SSm but have seen several 7500SSms. I think they are inferior to the older 7500SS models. The bail is made of thinner wire, the bail spring seems less reliable. And the anti-reverse is suspect because it is a roller bearing -- prone to corrosion -- and liable to fail.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

Alto Mare

I have seen and used a 950ssm and quickly got rid of it. I have a few 9500ss older models along with many other SS models, in my opinion the 9500ss is of a much better quality than the 950ssm. I'm also not crazy about the new features, like the clutch assembly and the A/T bearing, as Akfish mentioned, they're prone to corrosion. If you're shopping for the 950ssm, do yourself a favor and get the 9500ss older model,  maybe you'll find the brass gears in it when you crack it open. There is a tutorial here on the 9500ss that shows how to install an additional dog , that's about all that the reel will need, with proper care it should last you till the end of your fishing days.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

bluesideup

I'm new to all of this and don't know too much, so take this for what it's worth.
I've been looking into a lot of older reels on eBay and bought 7 or 8. I believe the older SS series (i.e. 750ss, 650ss) are metal and made in USA, the 7500ss and 6500SS series are a newer and lighter (although still relatively old) version of the SS series and made in USA, the SSg are graphite and made in China and the SSm models are metal and made in China.

I was going out of my way to buy reels that were US made, as I believe they will be superior (although heavier) to anything newer and made in China. I was just looking for durable, easy to work on reels for a beginner and the SS series and Z series fit the bill for me. I am happy with them.

Alto Mare

You are doing good bluesideup, ebay is a good place to get some but be carefull, always check the sellers feedback. I also buy some every now and then , most of them will need some parts, but I usually don't send them back, I just try to buy them at a good price. The older 650ss,750ss and the newer 6500ss,7500ss are actually the same waight approximately 1 lb 11oz for the  750ss and they are both made in USA. the 650ss,750ss come with better ss parts, especially the bail wire. Also the main gear is brass and you can only use the handle on one side, if you need to convert it from left to right hand, you will need a pivot. The 6500ss,7500ss come with the brass gear also, but the later models comes with the aluminum/brass gear, no need to buy a pivot, the gears on the 6500ss, 7500ss will  accept the left or right side handle, you have no way of finding out if the gear is brass or aluminum,  you'll need to remove the side plate. The 650ssm,750ssm is a different reel, although it shares the same gear as the 6500ss, 7500ss and a few other parts, it is not the same as the older models, it has different features. Some of the earlier graphite models where made in USA, I'm not crazy about graphite on reels, but that's just me. The Z series is also a great model, it will never let you down. I'm glad that you're enjoing these reels, I still use mine today and love everyone of them, I just deposited two 650ss with some nice rods while I was vacationing in Sanibel Florida, the kayak flipt on me and my 13 year old son, I was about 1/2 mile out in the gulf, I was only concerned about my son so I didn't bother diving for them. When we got back to shore, I went back out on my own to try to find them, but no luck. Oh well! I do have replacements though ;)
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Harry

Im hearing you all ,some great info guys thanks , gonna look for the older models only now, not so easy to find here tho! gotta keep my eyes open!

Alto Mare

Harry

Hi Alto Mare ...im in South Australia.Not as many penns here as there is over in the Americas.

bluesideup

Quote from: Harry on August 09, 2011, 03:31:34 AM
Hi Alto Mare ...im in South Australia.Not as many penns here as there is over in the Americas.

Here is a quick eBay search of "Penn SS reels".

http://sporting-goods.shop.ebay.com/Spinning-Reels-/36164/i.html?rt=nc&LH_ItemCondition=3000&_nkw=penn%20ss%20reel&_fln=1&_ssov=1&_trksid=p3286.c0.m282

You may want to contact the seller to see if they will accommodate international shipping if you were to win the auction (or "buy it now"). There are constantly older Penn reels on eBay, so it's worth a try.
Good luck.
Bill

bluesideup

Quote from: Alto Mare on August 08, 2011, 11:20:06 PM
You are doing good bluesideup, ebay is a good place to get some but be carefull, always check the sellers feedback. I also buy some every now and then , most of them will need some parts, but I usually don't send them back, I just try to buy them at a good price. The older 650ss,750ss and the newer 6500ss,7500ss are actually the same waight approximately 1 lb 11oz for the  750ss and they are both made in USA. the 650ss,750ss come with better chromed parts, especially the bail wire. Also the main gear is brass and you can only use the handle on one side, if you need to convert it from left to right hand, you will need a pivot. The 6500ss,7500ss come with the brass gear also, but the later models comes with the aluminum/brass gear, no need to buy a pivot, the gears on the 6500ss, 7500ss will  accept the left or right side handle, you have no way of finding out if the gear is brass or aluminum,  you'll need to remove the side plate. The 650ssm,750ssm is a different reel, although it shares the same gear as the 6500ss, 7500ss and a few other parts, it is not the same as the older models, it has different features. Some of the earlier graphite models where made in USA, I'm not crazy about graphite on reels, but that's just me. The Z series is also a great model, it will never let you down. I'm glad that you're enjoing these reels, I still use mine today and love everyone of them, I just deposited two 650ss with some nice rods while I was vacationing in Sanibel Florida, the kayak flipt on me and my 13 year old son, I was about 1/2 mile out in the gulf, I was only concerned about my son so I didn't bother diving for them. When we got back to shore, I went back out on my own to try to find them, but no luck. Oh well! I do have replacements though ;)

Thanks. I've been very lucky with eBay. All of the reels have been in great shape, well lubed and with like new components.
Sorry about the loss of the 650's. I'm glad you and your son are ok (I also have a 13 year old son).
I'll bet you do have replacements  ;). My wife doesn't understand why we need so many reels and rods with just me and my son, but I suppose there's worse things I could be doing with my time and money.
Take care,
Bill

Alto Mare

Thanks Bill, me and my son were OK. He actually told me that it was the best part of our trip, so I guess a couple of rods and reels is a small price to pay. My son says that he is going to remember the excitement of that day for the rest of his life. Keep buying those older reels. I believe that in a few years you won't be able to find them. Take care, Sal

13starsinax

i have some ss reels and love them... if you are looking still look at the penn battles i just got one and wow it is impressive.