Greetings from the "Southernmost City" !!

Started by captbruce, August 07, 2011, 02:57:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

captbruce

Hello, FRRbAT !!
I Just registered and decided the introduce myself.
I'm Capt. Bruce Cronin from the Charterboat 'New Horizons' in Fabulous Key West, Florida. I've been a Key West "Guide" for over 35 years.

I first saw your site last Summer when I decided the Service my reels, myself.
I needed to refer to the tutorials quite often especially with the Avet's.
I brought 40+ reels to my Summer home in Sebastian.
I set-up a working area and proceeded to take apart mostly Shimano Trinidads 30 and 20's; Torium 16 and 20's; and my old "stand-by" Bantam Mag 50.

I also have an Avet LX 6/3 and after I cleaned it and when I cranked the handle on the side of my table and "chopped" it out of gear it spun for 2 min. 20 secs.... I was astounded !! The best my Trinidads would do was about 30 secs.

The whole ordeal took 30 days to complete the last reel. mostly due to 3 back-orders of parts ordered directly from Shimano. (I've been a "VIP" Guide with Shimano for almost 35 years)

Anyway I was proud of how the reels stood-up this season.
I had one Trinidad 30 that I just used for Sharks and at the end of the season I could see the handle creeping back. When I finally took it apart the cause was over-greasing the reel, lube had slung around and over-lubed the roller clutch A/R bearing under the handle. I simply cleaned it up and reassembled with a drop of oil and all is well, with that TN30.

Anyway, Best to all.
Keep up the good work and Catch 'em Up !!
captbruce
"Hang-Up and FISH" !!

wallacewt

yours is a good story capt;
thousands of visitors to this site have the same experience.
maybe not so large a scale but never the less just as satisfying.
goodonya mate,cheers

Norcal Pescador

Welcome from Northern California, Captain Bruce! You certainly dived into the repair gig big time. Makes sense to do your own reels saving yourself a bunch of bucks and making them better at the same time. 8)
Rob
Rob

Measure once, cut twice. Or is it the other way around? ::)

"A good man knows his limits." - Inspector Harry Callahan, SFPD

Roger

Capt., welcome aboard from South Louisiana. Ya'll sure have some fine fishing down there. Been to Key West a few times back in my wilder days but never had a chance to fish out of there, I have had the opportunity to fish out of Islamorada several times and really enjoyed it.
Roger

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."   Mark Twain

Alto Mare

Welcome Captain! Get yourself a couple of Penn's, this way you can take your time working on those reels ;D. Nice to have you with us! Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Nessie Hunter

Welcome Capt Bruce......   

Satisfying to do your own, helps when you have an issue also. 
You can almost FEEL whats wrong..  You become ONE with the reel...
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....
WOW!!! WHAT A RIDE!

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

broadway

I like that... jumpin' in head first is the only way to go ;) 
Welcome aboard, Capt!
Dom

captbruce

Thanks, guys...
I just got back to my Summer Home in Sebastian, Fl. and started stripping line and making sure everything is OK. I will re-spool them in Dec. just before I go back to KW.
I took a "Group Photo" of just the conventional reels.

There is a couple Daiwa BG 20's in the mix (I have MANY more). Behind me are boxes (and boxes) of spare reels accumulated over the years.

The three "Billy Pate" fly Reels (lower right) are almost 40 yrs. Old !! They go back to the Mfg. (Juraisck Tool & Die) every two years for total service (no charge). Ted Juraisck has been a close friend for a many yrs.

Anyway, I found 5 reels that need minor fixes, mostly the Shimano Bantam Mag 50's drag. You can't get any parts for them anymore so I use spare reels that I scour the web for.

It's a labor of Love.

Thanks for the kind words.
Best to ALL !!
captbruce

"Hang-Up and FISH" !!

redsetta

That's some line-up!
Welcome aboard Capt.
All the best, Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

alantani

congratulations, captain!  you are this months winner with that photo.  if i can you to send me your address via pm, i'd like to mail something out to you.  thanks!  alan
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

captbruce

Thanks, Alan.

PM sent.

I took the pix in .RAW format and changed it to 'Jpeg.
I Cropped and compressed the pix ALOT, to reduce the size of the file.
If you would like me to make it less grainy just let me know.

Keep up the good work !!
captbruce
"Hang-Up and FISH" !!