Accurate Accuplates Converted Jigmaster 500 to Albacore Special Drag Question

Started by Tarponmike, August 07, 2011, 11:41:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tarponmike

I recently picked up a couple souped up Jigmasters that have been converted to the Albacore Specials (99 width) and have the Accurate sideplates as well. Even with new HT 100 drag washers, the most drag I can get is 10 pounds of drag on 2 and 11# on my other one.
I replaced my gear sleeve to stainless steel but if I can't get anymore drag than that there was no need to????

Is that essentially the max drag on these Jigmaster conversions or is there a way to get more?

Also, my reel repair guy used standard Penn reel Grease on the drag washers, is that ok, or was that a mistake to do, does that hurt or help the amount of drag available on a reel?

alantani

oops!  last question first.  no hydrocarbon or lithium based products on carbon fiber.  it has to be a teflon based grease.  the drags will stick, otherwise. 

15 pounds of drag is the absolute most you can get with the star cranked down vein-popping tight.  for the 2 pound reel, check for spectra slipping the spool or a spool that is slipping on the spool shaft.  and any drag setting past 7-8 pounds means a reel could benefit from a stainless steel gear sleeve. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Tarponmike

thanks Alan- by "2" I meant my other "2" reels not 2 lbs of drag but you answered my questions. I was hoping to get more out of such heavy duty converted reels. I have a Daiwa Saltiga 2 spd LD 30 that puts out 26 lbs and weighs waaaaaaayyyy less.

alantani

sorry, i should read things more carefully.  to make this all worse, i think i picked up a kid virus from one of my cousins 1 year olds (he has triplets).  you probably will not be able to get much more out of those reels.  fish them as is for a while, then see if the gear sleeve holds up.  worst case, you can always change them out later.  alan
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Nessie Hunter

Good call Alan.....   

I would get those "Penn Greased" drags out and toss em, clean off the Main Gear & Plates. 
Then put new Drags in with a touch of Cals Drag Grease..

The Penn Grease will lower the drag (lower coefficient of friction).. 
Then Stick/jump at start up once it soaks in!!!

Bad Ju Ju IMO.......

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....
WOW!!! WHAT A RIDE!