Penn vsw 50 skipping in low gear

Started by Conquest255, August 08, 2011, 06:14:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Conquest255

Need a little help with a 50 vsw.  In low gear it has started skipping while under load during cranking.  Pulled the handle Asem apart and nothing seemed broke.  it's the newer version with the large round black button for shifting.  Any help would be great.
Thanks
Ben

Nessie Hunter

Hard to diagnose?????   

But I would give a very close look to the Line Slipping on the Spool under high tension/drag & low Gear....

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....
WOW!!! WHAT A RIDE!

alantani

take a look at this.  not sure it will help, though.  https://scottsbt.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/204433145-International-VS-or-GLD-Reel-Not-Shifting-

"Edited as per Moderators to correct Scott's Bait & Tackle over to their new store name Mystic Reel Parts / www.mysticparts.com"
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

kamuwela

what kind of line is it spooled with? slipping doesn't bring anything to mind other then spectra. if it was in the main gear's i would think both high and low would skip. the only thing left is the pinion gear but then again it would slip in either gear too. you may need to remove the right side plate and look at the main gear's and pinion.

Conquest255

I am running spectra backing, however I'm certain it's not the line slipping.  It's as if a tooth is missing and it skips.  I looked at Alans photo of the bent prongs-I'll be checking that tonight. 
Thanks for the replys

kamuwela

if you are sure then try removing the right plate and peek at the gear's. the tab's that alan is talking about is part of the shifting system. i really dont think  that it's the cause of your skipping. you can remove the side plate without removing the handle and inspect the gear's with minimum removal of part's. you can look at the tutoriol's, most all vs models are almost identical. the 30 tutoriol is the closet one youll find.