my homemade flutter jigs and some of the fish that ate them

Started by Gadget, June 27, 2018, 06:58:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gadget

Pretty pleased with myself,wet weather thought bubble had me carving balsa to make master copies,then moulds and the requisite blanks for paint and prep led to these .then a trip north to tackle some lure eating beaties and this was the result. Now have 4 sizes,280gm,435gm 580gm and 630gm. random weights because thats the nature of my rather amateurish carving skills.
A bad days fishing is better than a good day in the office

thorhammer

Awesome work! looks like fish don't see non-standard weights!

Swami805

Do what you can with that you have where you are

Cor

Cornelis

Gfish

Excellent! Nice picture. I guess I don't use these type a lures enough, 'cause it never occurred to me to rig the hooks like that, so they don't snag the line, which probably ruins the lures action.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

David Hall

I like a jig that doesnt waste time and gets where its going in a hurry.  Very nice work there.

gstours

Awesome pictures of what works.  You did a professional looking job on the finish.  Great idea 💡 using the glow hootchy on the attack hook too.   I'm jealous,  and inspired.    Thanks 🙏

mo65

~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Marcq

Shark Hunter

Great Work Mate.
Your Carving skills seem to be up to par. ;)
Life is Good!

Rothmar2

Nice jigs and Reds! That looks like a Pilbara, West Oz, backdrop. The Hi-Viz is a clue too ;D

conchydong

Beautiful jigs and fish. The fish look very similar to the American Red Snapper ( Lutjanus campechanus). What is their name in the land of Oz?

Gadget

Close Rothmar2 but back of Dirk Hartog. Hi Viz is only so they can find my carcase if I go overboard. LOL No one will be able to get to you in time to save your neck.
Conchydong they are Red Emperor .The large of which was 12kg. They are a Lutjanus .
Shark Hunter, the worry was that they wouldn't flutter correctly as that's the trick to it. They might look good in Balsa but once made in lead,If the jig falls backwards after the lift instead of gliding forward and fluttering down then they will fail (no predator likes its prey to flee from them, then suddenly turn around as if to attack) and you can't work that out until you've incurred the expense for the moulding silicon and had a go.If you get it wrong its back to the drawing board.
They need to be heavy and glow as we are jigging in water up to 350metres deep.although these fish came from 115m.

Gadget

a couple more fish that ate them on the last trip

Dominick

Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.