carbontex for shimano scorpion 1501 XT

Started by ek1ns, August 09, 2011, 10:18:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ek1ns

hi guys  ;D... posting from indonesia ::),
need your suggestion for my new toy, shimano scorpion 1501XT,
i plan to put the carbontex drag washer, but haven't find any that match the specification in their website  ???.
wonder if someone know the correct washer that match for scorpion 1501 XT,
plan to use it against barramundi, blackbass, or baby GT along the coast n estuary...
i'm afraid shimano's dartanium drags not gonna stand a chance........
please en-light me guys.. thanks

Nessie Hunter

The new Scorpion is compared to the Curado by Shimano (JDM Curado) and is probably very close in Drag size????

If you can take it down and measure Drag Washers (I could not find a schematic or drag specs??)
A micrometer would be an asset...
You can order them by size...   
Or Dawn at SmoothDrags.com 'may know' what they take (Give her a Email or PM here)....

I always get 10% to 20% more drag from the Wovern Carbon Fiber drags (Carbontex)....
The Scorpion has 9# Stock so you may get up to 10/11#??  But smoother and longer lasting...
Touch of Cals Drag Grease (also available at Smoothdrags.com)  And you have a winner!!!!

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....
WOW!!! WHAT A RIDE!

ek1ns

Hm... Good ide  :D,  i'll try to measure up the washer size and PM her, maybe she might know the correct washer for my toy. Well shimano claim the drag is identical to curado which is about 11 lb, but havent test it out yet.
Well 11 lb is still not enough for me anyway.  ;D, i need more drag pressure....  :o
Thanks for the info. I'll let u know once i find out the correct washer...

alantani

if you could post the dimension for dawn, i'm certain she can help.  and welcome!!!!!!
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Nessie Hunter

Need more drag in a Low Profile 200 Size reel???

Abu Garcia Revo Inshore...   Advertized at 22#  ....

Awesome little reels...   
I have 2 inshores and a Toro 60 (same reels, wider Frame & Spool)....
Inshore = 200 Size Spool
Toro 50 = 300 Size spool
Toro 60  = 400 Size Spool....

They have a glitch in the Kick Lever (Alan found and brought it to light)
Easy/cheap change out if/when it goes bad........

New part :
part number is 1156749 and they are available for $2.50 each plus s&h.
Total about $6.50    ----   1-800-228-4272..

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....
WOW!!! WHAT A RIDE!

ek1ns

in fact most anglers in Indonesia use abu's reel for saltwater,
i have both toro 51 and 61 too ;D, but after bout 30 trips, my toro 51 drag start to stutter and 've a lot of boat rash, i guess abu's coating sucks...
i always take good care of all my reel... and even wash it with H20 water  ;D after each trip....
that's why i plan to change the washer to carbontex too... n ship it together with scorpion's washer...

Dawn

Hi
Same drags as the TE200, for the Scorpion.  I have them.

Dawn
Dawn

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Dawn

Dawn

ek1ns

i've just had time to take a look at it today, n dawn just mailed me moment ago, and yeah she's rite,  ;D ;D ;D
i borrowed my friend's curado e7.... and compared the washer n it's identical  :o
thanks dawn, u r officially walking dictionary............
;D ;D ;D

ek1ns

Hi guys, got the carbontex 3 weeks ago, thx to dawn
N finally just had time to installed it 3 days ago, work great, increased the drag pressure better than before using carbontex..
But i'm abit confused with the shimano's claim that the max drag resistence is bout 11 lbs while i test it out Using digital Scale and Hooked the line on it, with max crank just bout 6 lbs, same thing with my friends curado e7 that's still using dartanium drags bout 5 lbs but jerky...
Anyone having the same issue? Thx

Dawn

It seems like the manufacturers claims are usually a little high.
Do you have good range?  By any chance is the star stopping against the side of the reel and you can't tighten any more?

Dawn

ek1ns

Yupe, cranked the star drag all the way down :-\ I used 20# braid, half spooled....
The range is far better than before. I did apply drag grease on the washers...
I'd checked couple curados , citica and caenan from friends,
Suprisingly, most resistance were only about 4-6 lbs.... ??? ???
I guess i'm going to stick back to my old toro for saltwater application...... :(

Dawn

What I'm wondering is if maybe the Scorpion has just a little deeper gear than the other reels that use the drag washers.  Email me at info@smoothdrag.com and let's see if we can get this fixed up.

Thanks
Dawn
Dawn

Nessie Hunter

Often the Carbontex are slightly thinner then stock washers, especially the Under washer..

Easy fix if the Star bottoms out ~ under the Star you should find the Bellville metal washers ( ) bent like this,  Add a thin metal washer to either side of them  l()l as needed,  to keep it from bottoming out.
That should increase the drag considerably.....   
Dont even need to take the side pate off...   ;D

WOW!!! WHAT A RIDE!