penn senator 3/0 gears

Started by greg, June 29, 2018, 03:29:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

greg

gents
       just wondering if somebody could enlighten me is the main gear on the 3/0 4/0 the same size.i was given a mint 3/0 and wanted to use it for conger eels up maybe 75lbs weight. the 4/0 handles them no problem just wondering if the 3/0 up to the job.
common sense not very common.

STRIPER LOU

The 3/0 uses a smaller gear and about identical in size to the Jig Master gears. Some of the newer Custom 3/0 gear sets are interchangeable with the JM. The 3/0 is a decent reel but its no 4/0.

The 3/0 can be upgraded with a frame and drag stack which will make it a pretty versatile reel. Some say the JM is a bit better than the 3/0 but if there is a difference, its marginal at best.

I have a 3/0 with Randy Pauly's T4xn Tib frame, and spool, plus Adams drag stack and it does make a sweet combo for certain applications. Its definitely lighter than the 4/0.

That being said, for work horses, I always reach for my 4/0's. Regular, yts's, and the RP's super narrows. They're tough to beat.

.........................Lou

mo65

Well...wait a minute...if he's talking about black plate senators...the 3/0 and 4/0 are the same gear...the #5-66.
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

greg

mo65
        its the red hs 3/0 reel.
common sense not very common.

mizmo67

If it's the 113H vs 114H reels, it's definitely 2 different diameter gears, so not interchangeable on those models
~Mo

Maureen Albertson :)
Scott's Bait & Tackle / Mystic Reel Parts (Formerly PennParts.com)
Contact Me Via Store Website Please!
Orders/Support# +1 (609) 488-4637 (parts ordering or troubleshooting)
customerservice@mysticparts.com

Dominick

Hey Mo I love the new name and logo.  You did a great job.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

mo65

Quote from: Dominick on June 30, 2018, 08:51:29 PM
Hey Mo I love the new name and logo.  You did a great job.  Dominick

Yeah Mo...I like it too! 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

mizmo67

Thanks guys. We like it, too :)
~Mo

Maureen Albertson :)
Scott's Bait & Tackle / Mystic Reel Parts (Formerly PennParts.com)
Contact Me Via Store Website Please!
Orders/Support# +1 (609) 488-4637 (parts ordering or troubleshooting)
customerservice@mysticparts.com