White sea bass...

Started by Aiala, July 01, 2018, 02:43:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aiala

37-lb WSB, caught off Point Eugenia during ROYAL STAR 7-day, using Pink Lady Seeker rod built for me by Dwight (Newell Nut).  :D

~A~
I don't suffer from insanity... I enjoy every minute of it!  :D

David Hall

One of my most favorite eating fish.  Very nice.

MarkT

When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

Swami805

Nice fish! had some for dinner tonight. How was your trip?
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Bill B

Great fish..... congrats.  Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

Vintage Offshore Tackle

Beautiful fish Aiala! Congrats.

Randy

Cor

Quote from: David Hall on July 01, 2018, 02:46:34 AM
One of my most favorite eating fish.  Very nice.
Same here, except they have been completely caught out of our oceans, gone, a rarity to see one.  :'( :'( :'(
Cornelis

Alto Mare

Nice catch Aiala!...great pic!

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Keta

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

mo65

~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Jim Fujitani

Very nice!!  One of only four fish that my wife will eat!

Where did you run into it?

We used to get them fishing at night off Isla Cedros, on our 7 day on the RS.  The combined hearts of our charter sank when the government closed off Isla Cedros and Islas San Benitos to the LR fleet.  Reduced chances of incidental catches of WSB and California Halibut on 7 day trips.

Big Tim

Hardy Boy

Great fish ! Maybe one in the cards for Cedros ....... I hope. Nice pic.

Cheers:

Todd
Todd

xjchad

Congrats on a great catch!!
Husband, Father, Fisherman

Aiala

Quote from: Jim Fujitani on July 01, 2018, 04:41:17 PM
Very nice!! Where did you run into it? We used to get them fishing at night off Isla Cedros, on our 7 day on the RS.  The combined hearts of our charter sank when the government closed off Isla Cedros and Islas San Benitos to the LR fleet.  Reduced chances of incidental catches of WSB and California Halibut on 7 day trips.

Thanks for the kind comments, gents... greatly appreciated.  :)

I caught the WSB on the eastern edge of the kelp bed between Punta Eugenia and Isla Natividad. The guy next to me had just pulled up a big goat (sheephead) and I was hoping for one of those, when my sardine got hit like a freight train... amazing power, every bit as strong as the 40-lb Alijos YT I'd caught two days earlier. We were in relatively shallow water, so the battle didn't last very long. Needless to say, since this was my first ever keeper WSB, I was extremely stoked.  8)

As for the Cedros/Benitos closure, I learned a couple of interesting things from Skipper extraordinaire Tim Ekstrom: First, it's highly unlikely that the ban will continue indefinitely... stay tuned. Second, the whole thing came about as a result of the usual toxic combination of avarice, bureaucracy, and incompetence, with the principal instigators being one of the two Cedros fly-in operations. (Tim didn't tell me which one, and I didn't ask.)

At any rate, it was one helluva trip. In my admittedly partial view, the ROYAL STAR offers incomparable service and professionalism in every way; it is truly an extraordinary operation. I can't wait for my next 7-day in December... Guadalupe or bust!!  :D

~A~
I don't suffer from insanity... I enjoy every minute of it!  :D