3oz yamaha grease

Started by Handcrafters, August 09, 2011, 09:15:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Handcrafters

I went to the link that was posted for the blue grease and they wanted me to have a min order of almost $40.00 in order to get one for $8.00.  I went on line and located a place that had the 3oz. tubes of grease for $6.21 per pack of 3.  With shipping at $9.95 flat rate, it came to $16.26.  The web site was Simyamaha.com, I could not order on line and had to call as it kept asking for motor id or ser. #, which my reel doesn't have.  The phone service was fast and great.  Now all I need to get is the bearing packing set from Alan....soon...Lynn   

Handcrafters

I reread the post and seen that it stated that the 3 oz tube was not marine grease.  I called Sim and they said it was the same as the 14 oz, and that they do not sell things not for yamaha outboards.  this is the product information on both the 14 oz and 3 oz. .....Lynn

***THIS PRODCUT CAN BE SHIPPED BY UPS GROUND SHIPPING ONLY***
For lubrication, corrosion and rust protection, and water resistance.

Resists washout.
Good in salt and fresh water.
For use with 3 oz. grease guns.

Norcal Pescador

Lynn -
Glad you caught it. Unless Yamaha just started selling it in the 3 oz. tubes, they only sell the marine grease in a 14 oz. tube.
The Yamaha Marine Grease has saltwater corrosion inhibiters in it. Fortunately for me, my Yamaha parts dealer in my landlocked village knows the difference. You should go to the Yamaha USA web site and see if the marine grease comes in the 3 oz. tube. My money is on "nope".
Rob
Rob

Measure once, cut twice. Or is it the other way around? ::)

"A good man knows his limits." - Inspector Harry Callahan, SFPD

kamuwela

put the two side by side and compare the consistency. im with rob unless they changed it. will be great if they changed it. it sure makes no sence to make two differnt types of grease.

alantani

the three ounce stuff is not marine grade.  honestly, though, i think it will be close enough.  besides, you needed some three ounce cartridges anyway!!!!!   ;D
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Handcrafters

A lot to consider, I figure I'll compair the two and find out for sure before I go any further with it, it will be worth the time and dollars to make sure.  There is not too many dealers here in S/W Colorado but, old age and persistance will figure it out and then I will report.  Thanks folks.....Lynn

We don't get too many salt water problems here either, but I do go to Texas and N. Cal fishing.  In the early spring when the waters are frozen over its time to maintenance the equipment.  My wife says that most of my reels look better than most of the new ones.  Reels don't get old from fishing, they get old from not fishing and sitting in the corner of the garage.

kamuwela

i have used both untill i noticed the packaging. i have had no problem's either. thank's for the info

alantani

same here, but i go through the stuff so fast that the large cannisters save me quite a bit of money.  i have a bunch of those nitrile gloves and i just repack them, literally by hand.  alan

Norcal Pescador

Quote from: alantani on August 10, 2011, 04:02:15 PM
same here, but i go through the stuff so fast that the large cannisters save me quite a bit of money.  i have a bunch of those nitrile gloves and i just repack them, literally by hand.  alan

Alan,
Put a 6 or 8 inch nipple on the 14 ounce grease gun and pump the grease into your 3 ounce gun. a lot faster and cleaner. ;D
Rob
Rob

Measure once, cut twice. Or is it the other way around? ::)

"A good man knows his limits." - Inspector Harry Callahan, SFPD

alantani

hmmm, or just take the nipple fitting off altogether and leave the metal tube end totally open.  dude, you are a genuis!

kamuwela

i have been just pumping it in with the fitting still attached. one problem it doesn't seem to hold the 3 oz. once i ran out i stayed with the 14 oz. i have been getting reel's that have been previously done with both types of yamalube. the reel's show no problem's other then discoloration. in my opinion the non marine is the one that had discolored. non marine  ok as long as you dont leave it for year's.

Brendan

I honestly think most people on this site can barley keep from tearing there reels down quarterly. leaving them alone for years is out of the question no matter how much of any kind of grease was applied. You know who you are, lol.
My .02, Brendan.

blktwr2660

Hi,Guy's Me again 8) just a quick question ;D I hear so much about YAMAHA Marine blue grease ;) does anybody ever use PENN blue grease? :-\
Not from around here,Just fishing and doing time on planet earth.

alantani

oh, yes, lots of people.  it's pretty good stuff!

Irish Jigger

I like the Penn Precision Reel Grease. Luckily I don't use a lot of it as it costs about $14 for a 2oz tub here.