First Female Sevengill 20180709

Started by xjchad, July 10, 2018, 04:27:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

xjchad

After getting some honey-do's done last night I made a quick run out to soak some bait for a bit.  Had a couple hours before the Sheriff would kick me out and I needed a break from the heat also.  I waited for the last few beach goers to pack up and got my first bait in around 8:30. The arsenal was my old reliable Penn 9500SS with upgraded drag, Motive Fab Titanium AR kit, bailless kit and power handle compliments of Sal mounted on a 12" heavy Penn Prevail.  Second outfit is my Ugly Duckling 970 on a 6'6" Tsunami Airwave (not the usual surf setup, but I've been wanting to use it really bad!  ;D )

Conditions were perfect!  Nice high tide right at dusk.  0-1' surf.  Zero salad. No wind.  Actually, I was wishing there was a breeze because it was still pretty hot.  I fished for 2  hours, changing baits on each rod a couple of times, and having no action at all.  At 10:30 I started packing my gear.  As I glanced over at my long rod, I see the line go slack, here we go!  Tighten the drag, set the hook, fish on!  I knew right away it was a sevengill, and it felt like a small one, but I'm always excited to land one of these!  A nice big surge help push it up on the beach and I see it's a female.  A first for me since all my others have been males.  She taped out at 77.5" and was back in the water swimming away in a couple minutes.

As I was loading the rest of my gear the Sheriff rolled by, gave me a thumbs up, and headed on his way.

Date: 07/09/2018
Species: Female Sevengill
Length: 77.5"
Tide: Outgoing tide
Bait: Bat Ray
Husband, Father, Fisherman

Vintage Offshore Tackle

Tiddlerbasher

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!

mo65

~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

swill88

Great report Chad!

What are the hours for the beach?

steve

xjchad

Thanks guys!

Steve,
Technically, I believe the beach is open 24/7.  However, the parking is restricted to 6am-10pm.
Unfortunately, there aren't any options for parking that let me fish later than the posted limits.
The Sheriff's are cool though.  They see that I'm fishing and just tell me it's time to pack up.
Husband, Father, Fisherman

Benni3

Great fishing and I like the real  ;D

Alto Mare

That's some serious fishing there Chad, especially with the choice of tools used.
A true expert!... thanks for Sharing!

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Swami805

Nice fish Chad! You've got that beach wired
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Shark Hunter

Chad,
You have the beach. You need someone to drop you off and pick you up in the morning.
Hard telling how many you could catch then.
Great Job My Man.
Life is Good!