16/0 crank and handle rehab

Started by The Great Maudu, July 16, 2018, 03:17:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Great Maudu

I guess this is as good a place any to start this topic. I recently acquired one Penn 20/0 kits made by Tiburon. For my build out I wanted to use a 16/0 counterbalanced crank arm to give it a retro look. I found the one pictured attached to and old, dirty 16:0 Senator. As you can see there is some loss of chrome and the handle is missing. My question is twofold:
1 - where can I get it rechromed?
2 - who could make or fit a custom handle to the post?

Maxed Out

......hmmmmm

You do realize that Penn never made a cb handle for 14/0 or 16/0 right ??  Penn employees did make some unique parts for personal use. That would be my guess for why this one fits a 16/0

If this came off of a 16/0 I would like to see pic of the donor reel if that's possible

Ted
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

Alto Mare

You are correct Ted, Penn never made those for the 14/0 and 16/0. But, somehow I've personally run into a half dozen that where listed for the 16/0 and did fit on the 16/0, not sure if it was a custom job or if they were for the 10/0's and were enlarged :-\
I do not have those any longer I sold them all roughly 10 years ago, I believe Mike Cacioppo was one of the buyers at that time.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

The Great Maudu

Gentlemen thank you for the reply. I had never seen a cb handle on a 16 or 14 but found this reel with it attached. This reel belonged to Albert Munger the author of several articles and books on reel collecting. This was his go to reel for big tuna. It is mounted on a section of bent pipe that while a little crude would be effective. His daughter graciously agreed to sell me the reel when I explained to her that parts of it would live on in the 20/0 project and I would make note of this contribution in my notes, posts or articles about the reel. As you can see by enlarging the photos the fit is factory perfect with or with the retaining screw. I'm really hoping I can salvage this piece and use it on the build. Best, Mike

thorhammer

My 14/0 is an old one and came with the counterbalanced handle. It was stock and not filed out from a 12/0. Will post a pick later.

The Great Maudu

Here's a pic of the reel mounted on the pipe/ butt. The end is slotted to fit onto a gimbal cup brace. The other end is threaded for what I assume was a ferrule nut.

Shark Hunter

Didn't early 14 and 16/0's have a smaller sleeve?
This would explain the fitment.
Life is Good!

The Great Maudu

I believe this is definitely an earlier reel. There are no part numbers visible on any external pieces. According to Mike C's book the only significant change to the 16/0 was in its 50+ year run was moving the bridge assembly  to the 7 o'clock position.

Maxed Out

It does look more like a 12/0 blade

The blade itself kinda looks too short for the 16/0
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

The Great Maudu

Ted, you could be right. I have a first year production 12/0 with a CB handle. It measures 6 1/4" inch long. The handle on the 16/0 measures the same.

broadway

While I would love to see it be the first, i don't believe it is. It's a 12/0 handle. I have had that happen twice to me. I believe ted set me straight on at least one of the two and he was spot on.  I did see that 16/0 listed and was hoping someone from here bought it.  No numbers and the condition being rough I still wouldn't use that as a donor... it needs a donor for itself potentially. Not only is it Al Mungers old reel (significant to reel collectors) but 14/0's without numbers are a fairly tough find.  If you are lucky enough to stumble upon a first gen it would make a heck of a donor.
Whatever you do with it, enjoy it!
Thanks
Dom

Penn Chronology

Early 16/0's were made with 12/0 bridges, that is why you have a 12/0 handle on a 16/0.

In the following pictures are an early 12/0 and 14/0. The handle on the 12/0 is the largest counter balanced handle Penn ever made. The handle on the 14/0 is the big game power handle made for the early 14 and 16/0 Senators. They are interchangeable.

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!

The Great Maudu

Well, back to the drawing board. Anyone want the 16/0?

Shark Hunter

I want to take a good look at that reel when I see you again.
Life is Good!