DESTROYED NEW OKUMA SOLTERRA 50W

Started by the second, August 11, 2011, 10:06:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

the second

JBG hello, thanks for the important news that you gave me, you must be very experienced mechanics, perhaps you are an engineer, but I tell you, that is not the first time fishing for tuna (large), and tell you that the first tuna great that I took a few years ago, was taken with a graphite reel of Omoto (gtr 30) with no problems. Other tuna were caught with a graphite pen senator with no problems. I AM JUST SAYING THAT THE FIRST USE OF THIS REEL Solterra, THERE 'ITS BEEN BROKEN, NO AFTER A LOT OF FISH, BUT THE FIRST PESCATA.SULLA MY BOAT, we were all IMPRESSIONS AND FOR WHAT' SUCCESS. WHEN I SAW THE FIRST TIME AT THE STORE Solterra, I 'really like, I' LOOK STRONG, AND HAVING SEEN THE POST OF ALAN WHERE WAS ALL DISMOUNTED, SOMEONE HAD SAID THAT HE WAS WELL BUILT, AND THEN I HAVE BOUGHT 2 FISHING FOR THE tUNA. IS ANYTHING BUT NOW I DO NOT keep SMALL FISH.

codhead

Hi Lucio

Sorry to read your bad experience but I do wonder one thing: with Italy manufacturing three of the best reels in the world - Duel, Alutecnos & Everol - why you chose an Okuma over them?

Best wishes for the future
The older I get, the better I was

the second

I will be 'very honest with you, these brands you've listed, I think are the top quality', but very expensive. I will make you 'an example: When I decided a few years ago starting to catch large tuna, I made available a budget to buy the equipment (2 rods and 2 reels 50/80 lbs 6 / 0), and with those money I spent, I would not have bought 1 reel important. Having said that, with this modest equipment (rods and reels Senator Mitchell) I took several tuna of 100, 200, and 300 lbs. But I wanted to get to 4 rods without spending much money. Then I started to rethink what the market offered a good price / quality ratio, and I saw the advertisement of Okuma reels, saying that these are very durable and long lasting (they have 5 year warranty) and I am convinced to buy 2. I took the rod and a Shimano another Mitchell Katana always 50/80, and the money spent, again, I would have bought one reel famous. Even the speech of the pipes is the same. I could have bought Normic, ATC, Italcanna, high spending figures, while the tuna with Mitchell will also take a lot less money.
We must spend a lot of money to buy the best equipment and not everyone can. MANY TIMES MUST SETTLE. I do not know if in your country using the proverbs, but in Italy it is said, satisfied and HAPPY ABOUT. BAY :-\

BAY.

codhead

I can understand that, I was in a similar position for many years.

Fortunately I was left a small legacy last year and in memory of my uncle, I invested in an Everol VJ12 reel and a hand-built 12lb rod by Alba Rods of Scotland. I was also fortunate enough to buy a used Everol 4/0 and a Penn 25GLS from a market (I got both for €40.00 total), I haven't fished in a situation where I would need the Everol 4/0 yet, simply because most of my fishing is done over wrecks in the English Channel or drifting for bass, turbot & brill just off the Dorset coast.

Although I do love my VJ12, I fully appreciate that the fish on the end of my line has absolutely no idea what reel is fitted to my rod.

Best of luck with getting your reel (and hopefully rod too), replaced but keep looking at markets and other places where 2nd hand fishing tackle is sold, even eBay occasionally throws up a real bargain on the high-end Italian reels.
The older I get, the better I was

boghy

Ok, for thous of you who may wonder what's a good deal i can tell you this. Keep an eye on ebay listings. There are people there that sell Okuma Cavalla anywhere from size 15 to 50w. As an example i purchase my Okuma Cavalla CA-20-II for $191 with shipping included - Brand NEW. As far as Okuma Cavalla 50w, again another deal from Amazon, for $251. So, if you look around you'll gonna find good deals on reels that are made from aluminum frame. A note i would like to add here, being that Okuma Cavalla 50w-II is made from ONE Solid aluminum frame, the reel can handle some serious tweaks. I managed to boost the drag at 50lb, full spool, digitally measured, and caught on it a 8,5FT Hammerhead in 20 minutes fight, which also bring me as a winner in one of the shark tournament here in florida. The fish had only 100-150yds run - that's it! So, basically for around $250 this reel is well worth the money. Here you can find that drag tweak: http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=1696.msg12189#msg12189.
Now, as far as Okuva Cavalla CA-20-II - i make show on the pier with this reel. You can count on ONE hand the amount of reels that's on the market that can CAST OK, and CRANK 15-17LB drag (lower speed) - to lift on the pier, like a crane type lifting 14-16LB Bonito (tuna-family type fish). When people watch me doing this, they get usually surprised by how these fish gets flipped on the pier (20ft high).
Okuma Solterra has a good reel though - the Solterra SLR-15CS - i had this reel for few months - cast excellent (bearing work needed) and is FAST and SMOOTH. Another reel that seams that many many people overlooked that was also on Discovery Channel here in USA is the Okuma Solterra  SLR-20L - this reel was part of a show called River Monster, when the host Jeremy Wade caught a White Sturgeon please see the this link: http://animal.discovery.com/videos/river-monsters-massive-white-sturgeon.html. I hope you guys got some bullet points ideas from my post.
Don't like my post? Click on the banner below and call me!

Try my self-coded Line Calculator - for line conversions and topshot

Killerbug

Hi Second.

Okuma distributor in EU is Svendsen Sport in Denmark.  If you do not get a new reel form your Italien distributor, I don't mind calling Svendsen in Denmark helping you getting a new reel.

Do not expect to get any help directly from Okuma, I have addressed them several times regarding rust issues, and their only answer where silence!. Okuma products are in general fine engineering, but their sub contractors in China are doing a terrible job sometimes.  I have some experiences in the licensing buissenes with Chinese companies myself, and the problem is nearly always, that the quality of the materials are getting compromised due to the narrow delivery schedules of the sub contractors.  Okuma is a lottery, sometimes you win/sometimes you lose ;)
http://forum.esoxhunt.dk
-----------------------------
They say Catch and Release fishing is a lot like golf.
You don't have to eat the ball to have a good time

the second

Finally I have replaced the reel broke. For the fishing rod broken, I'm waiting for a response. But I do not think the change with a new one. Same thing for the nylon 80 lbs that I threw away.
:-\ :-\