DESTROYED NEW OKUMA SOLTERRA 50W

Started by the second, August 11, 2011, 10:06:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

the second

Hi, my name is Lucio Di Liberatore and I am writing this mail as direct importers and as reference for Italy, the OKUMA.

In the month of January (2011), I bought it from General Fishing Agliuana of PT, online fishing tackle shop, two whirlpools OKUMA Solterra 50w, with many sacrifices, and with the intention to draw some nice tuna drift. About 15 days ago, during a day of fishing, here is finally hooked a tuna. But after about 3 hours of fighting, with total amazement and despair, which I and my companions in the boat, the reel is detached from its seat and the barrel is destroyed into pieces. The great backlash, it makes the rear tip of the barrel, a 50/80 Mitchell privilege, which is also the first capture, breaks cleanly, me almost fall into the water, the line (from 80 lbs of Red Dragon Colmic) is broken, and the tuna that goes away. Soon the day, I called the store, which apologized for the incident, I guaranteed the return of the reel (I challenge you 5 years warranty) but I wonder, whoever pays the barrel? And the thread that almost cost me 80 euros? And the fear of my wife that I almost go into the water with all the harness from stand-up? Tuna and lost? And yet, having bought 2 of these reels well, if it was a manufacturing error, I can feel comfortable fishing? I wish I had some answers on first. My friends tell me to tell all on Facebook, but I am only interested in back of my shopping done and feel comfortable with many sacrifices. I await your response within a reasonable time. I cordially greet Lucio Di Liberatore - Via Brembo 51 / a - 04011 - Aprilia - LT- ITALY.

Alto Mare

Benvenuto Lucio, Sal da Pennsylvania.
Wow! that tuna ripped thet reel right off the rod.
I'm not much of an Okuma guy but from what I hear, they are coming out with some nice reels. "Our Boss" Alan just came back from a 7 day trip testing the Okuma Makaira,  his report was that they did very well. In your case, it might be a fluke but I'm sure that someone here will get to the bottom of it. As I stated on my other posts, I do not like graphite on fishing reels. Good luck to you and I hope that it will all work out for you. Un bacione all'Italia, Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

the second

Thanks Sal, I hope so too. I know that graphite is not as strong as aluminum, but OKUMA, makes a lot of publicity that this reel has a lot of force, and that it took 2 years of design to make it happen, but if the first major tuna sells well, I think that need to redesign it. In my country, speak very well for example, the Shimano TLD Graphite Institute too, and I've never heard of such breaks. Perhaps it also depends on the type of graphite that is used. Greetings to you from Italy.
Photos again

the second

Thanks Sal, I hope so too. I know that graphite is not as strong as aluminum, but OKUMA, makes a lot of publicity that this reel has a lot of force, and that it took 2 years of design to make it happen, but if the first major tuna sells well, I think that need to redesign it. In my country, speak very well for example, the Shimano TLD Graphite Institute too, and I've never heard of such breaks. Perhaps it also depends on the type of graphite that is used. Greetings to you from Italy.
Photos again

boghy

I had this reel in my hand for few weeks and i end up returning since the graphite frame wouldn't handle the mid-big size shark. At that time the reel that i returned had no issues, and i added the same amount to buy the Okuma Cavalla 50w - i'm glad i did. Read my "Okuma Cavalla" posts and you'll gonna know why.
Back in the days i remember someone from Italy asking on this forum if Okuma Solterra 50w would handle tuna - unfortunately back then nobody had enough experience with this reel to give a straight answer. I assume that as of today we all know the limits of these graphite frames. Overall is sad to see a nice fish to go with a costly price tag at the end. I'm not sure how things works in Italy as far as returns, but if they give you problems with warranty replacements, then just continue doing what you just start doing - bad advertising.
Looking into general business history, we've seen other companies being hard on they customers when they items got broken and no repair or exchange were initially made - bad advertising solved this problem pretty well. Let's hope that with Okuma in Italy this will not be a need at all. 
Don't like my post? Click on the banner below and call me!

Try my self-coded Line Calculator - for line conversions and topshot

the second

Probably it was me who was wondering about the reel before you buy it, because Alan Tani, had been dismantled and there were positive comments from friends on the forum. I hope to recover what was lost from Okuma. Having bought two of these reels, I'll use the other for also being a small fish 50. Just to tell you that long ago, I hooked a tuna that had come to light, then I saw him very closely and we estimated about 400 lbs, with a 115 Senator Pen Made in USA (now also in China, but they do not apply nothing), and I ran away just because the nylon has not stood (it was 50 lbs) but I kept it for 3 hours with a rod and reel held up so formidable. Thanks anyway comment. Bay

Bryan Young

Aloha Lucio.  I hope no one was hurt when the reel gave way.  That fish must have been a monster as look what it did to the butt of your rod.  I have never seen rods with damaged butts due to a fish fight.  It's usually in the mid section of the rod that snaps for spinters.

With any graphite frame reels, you need to really watch your drag settings.  I hope you are able to resolve it with Okuma.  They have  excellent customer service now and have really turned the company around.  Wishing you well.

For furture reels in the 50# class and above, I would recommend aluminum framed reels though.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

the second

The rod has held up extremely well. In fact I have to find a match Mitchell Laser Trolling 50/80. It was broken only for the big blow that he received after the breakup of the reel. Loso is a better reel 50 lbs all-aluminum, but if it was Shimano TLD 50, I think it would not happen. However, with what will give me a replacement, I think that fish in smaller fish. Bay....

Dominick

Benvenuto Lucio, Domenico da California.  Please let us know what Okuma will do for you.  With regard to the big Tuna, how far off shore to you have to go to fish for them?  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Tile

The graphite frame is the letdown for many reels nowdays. I have to say that metal frames should be the norm for big game reels. Okuma should do a recall on these reels and change out the graphite frames for aluminium ones and the subsequent series should have metal frames.
In solid fiberglass we trust

Alto Mare

Quote from: Tile on August 11, 2011, 06:56:45 PM
The graphite frame is the letdown for many reels nowdays. I have to say that metal frames should be the norm for big game reels. Okuma should do a recall on these reels and change out the graphite frames for aluminium ones and the subsequent series should have metal frames.

I'm with you Tile, The metal frames should be the norm, but not only on big game reels, all reels should be metal. The smaller reels will also twist on a fish that they were intended to handle . I for one would never buy a graphite reel, and if someone would give me one as a gift, I would put it on a shelf, I wouldn't fish with it.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Tile

I hope that someone from Tiburon would see this. Maybe they will come with an aluminium frame for the Solterra series like they have for the Senators, early International series and the TLD series from Shimano.
In solid fiberglass we trust

JGB

Wow looks like a very serious break. How does one try to explain the possibilities of a graphite frame rupture. First of all Graphite composite is not as strong as aluminum so it is very important not the exceed the MAX drag setting of the reel. This is a problem with the larger TLD's as their frames rupture if the drag is exceeded and this is made worse if the harness lugs are used with a long rod with a lot of back bone. Maybe Alan can post a few pics of ruptured TLD frames. If you use the reel clamps and tighten them down very tight they will bend the reel seat frame and place excessive stress on the graphite in the reel seat area. I have seen graphite reels where the lug bolt are tilted toward the center from bent reel seat frames ( I know this as it did this to one of my size 20 Solteras).

Here is the senario as was explained to me by the Okuma design team (as best as I can explain it).
OK the drag is within limits (40# for the Soltera 50) and you thumb the reel to slow down or seriously pull on a large tune. The drag pressure rises above the max and the graphite begins to distort or twist the frame. Everything is still ok until the frame twists to the point that the spool begins to rub on the frame and locks the reel up. This is when the frame ruptures or breaks off at the reel seat or the 80# line breaks or both as the reel slams into the first guide.

The Soltera has solid SS steel rings to prevent the frame distortion at the spool edges and it works most of the time. If you are harnessed in and pulling hard and the fish goes right or left and you don't follow the fish (keep it straight in front of you) one side of the harness tightens up and the other loosens. This causes the entire frame to twist. This will cause the reel seat to try to twist off the rod  and break from one side. You can usually tell if this happened as the rupture will be much larger on one side.
Personally I think reel lugs should not be on graphite frames and lugs be place on the rod or at lest be part of the metal reel seat.

If you had a Aluminum reel the reels would lock up and the line will break. Later all would seem well as the Aluminum will flex back. There was a International post earlier on a VSX (I think where the reel locked up and stayed locked until the side plate was loosened ) that locked up - even the big Internationals are not immune to harness induced frame twist. This is worse on the W reels. Tiburon, Cal Sheets and Okuma were very much aware of metal frame twist in big game reels and they addressed this in the Makiara reel design. That is one of the reasons why they stayed with the pull bar drag and a very robust frame that is quite thick in the right places.

The Frame twist and such may not be what blew the reel up and the frame may have has a defect that made it weak. Send it in to Okuma  and they will warranty it. Maybe see if they can accommodate a possible upgrade to a Cavalla or better yet Makiara with some extra $$.  I actually have a Soltera 50w prototype. To me the frame looks light for a size 50 reel.  I don't fish it but use it to load spectra under high tension.

Ever since I started servicing offshore tackle I have switched to only aluminum reels with good carbon drags. When that big one happens by we want to be prepared.

Jim N.

the second

Ciao Domenico,I'll let you know what will Okuma. I come from, in the period that the tunas go, they approach the coast from the 3 to 6 miles, you can incontyrare, and even more closely, even at 1 mile.

the second

CIAO TILE, I AGREE WITH YOU BUT I REPEAT AGAIN, THAT MY FRIENDS MANY FISHERMEN, FISHING TUNA TO DRIFTING WITH SHIMANO REELS TLD, also in graphite, WITHOUT PROBLEMS. SENATOR PEN THE SAME, EVEN SEEM TO ME THEIR GRAPHITE, BUT I HAVE NEVER SEEN ONE OF THESE REELS, I destroy as Solterra. OKUMA THIS TIME MUST BE SOMETHING WRONG IN THE COMPOUND GRAPHITE USED. :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\