Left over braid?

Started by Swami805, July 22, 2018, 03:59:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Decker

I'd imagine you could snare animals with it, if they don't get the opportunity to chew through.

SoCalAngler

conchydong

Quote from: Swami805 on July 22, 2018, 03:59:21 PM
Just filled my new PC 501 with 65lb power pro from a 300 yd spool. It wouldn't all fit so I have about 30-40 yds left I think. I've amassed a collection of spools with remnants on them over the years and the packrat in me can't seem to let them go. Other than a small amount of backing under the mono any other clever uses for it?  Seems a shame to chuck it but it's getting out of hand. Thanks

Do you use a fishing kite? If you do and use the Bob Lewis system with modified Blacks clips and small swivels that slide inside the kite clips you can use them for your kite line as long as it is 65lb+ test. The excess you can splice or tie together to fill up the remainder of the space (backing) on the kite reel.
For you west coasters, I am talking about the actual rod flying the kite, not the one you are fishing with.
You can always tie a bunch together for a non fishing kite and give to a kid .

SoCalAngler

Quote from: conchydong on July 23, 2018, 07:45:08 PM
Just filled my new PC 501 with 65lb power pro from a 300 yd spool. It wouldn't all fit so I have about 30-40 yds left I think. I've amassed a collection of spools with remnants on them over the years and the packrat in me can't seem to let them go. Other than a small amount of backing under the mono any other clever uses for it?  Seems a shame to chuck it but it's getting out of hand. Thanks

Do you use a fishing kite? If you do and use the Bob Lewis system with modified Blacks clips and small swivels that slide inside the kite clips you can use them for your kite line as long as it is 65lb+ test. The excess you can splice or tie together to fill up the remainder of the space (backing) on the kite reel.
For you west coasters, I am talking about the actual rod flying the kite, not the one you are fishing with.

That's funny kite fishing has been done here on the left coast since the first fishing club in the USA was formed, The Catalina Tuna Club. We may know a thing or two about using kites :)

Edit: That should read the Avalon Tuna Club and it was founded in 1851

conchydong

Quote from: SoCalAngler on July 23, 2018, 08:13:44 PM
Just filled my new PC 501 with 65lb power pro from a 300 yd spool. It wouldn't all fit so I have about 30-40 yds left I think. I've amassed a collection of spools with remnants on them over the years and the packrat in me can't seem to let them go. Other than a small amount of backing under the mono any other clever uses for it?  Seems a shame to chuck it but it's getting out of hand. Thanks

That's funny kite fishing has been done here on the left coast since the first fishing club in the USA was formed, The Catalina Tuna Club. We may know a thing or two about using kites :)

I know the history but when you mention "kite rod" on a Long Range trip most would assume it is the actual "fishing" rod and not the one flying the kite. At least that was my experience. :) BTW, I think it was the Hawaians or Polynesians that started kite fishing.

SoCalAngler

Quote from: conchydong on July 23, 2018, 08:19:49 PM
Quote from: SoCalAngler on July 23, 2018, 08:13:44 PM

I know the history but when you mention "kite rod" on a Long Range trip most would assume it is the actual "fishing" rod and not the one flying the kite. At least that was my experience. :) BTW, I think it was the Hawaians or Polynesians that started kite fishing.

It may have been but no one really knows where it began. All I was saying is it has been done here for over 150 years

grekim

I read on some forum of a guy using the old braid for making bucktails.
Educating fish on every trip

Swami805

I have a couple 13' CUI jig rods to build, I think I'll try it on those. The eat about a mile of thread. I've used Maderia thread which has almost no stretch too,likely be similar to that.
Haven't ruled out doilies yet.
Do what you can with that you have where you are