Greetings from the Keys

Started by Ron C, August 15, 2011, 12:46:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ron C

Hello to all.  Found this site a couple of days ago & enjoy very much the information so far.  Retired, live in Cudjoe Key, mm23, with my wife Ardis of 44 years.  Keep a Bay Boat & a flats boat behind the house.  Mostly back-country with the fly rod. 
Release the fish, keep the memories.  Once a Knight is enough.

redsetta

G'day from New Zealand Ron.
Welcome aboard!
All the best, Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

Norcal Pescador

Welcome to the site, Ron. A lot of fun here fixing and getting to know your own gear. ;D
Rob
Rob

Measure once, cut twice. Or is it the other way around? ::)

"A good man knows his limits." - Inspector Harry Callahan, SFPD

kamuwela

Bryan Young

Welcome to the site Ron.  Fly fishing...I know that a lot of fly reels mostly use cork for a drag medium.  Do you know if there would be any benefit to switching these drag washers out?  I don't fly fish yet, but would like to know my gear a little better before jumping in.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

redsetta

The fly fishing in NZ is epic - I've been fishing around Turangi in the Taupo region for more than 15 years.
(Interestingly, these fish originally came from California in the late 1880s.)
There seems to be a wide variety of drag mechanisms across the manufacturers and decades.
In my three reels, two have teflon brake pad and disc rotor assemblies much like a car or motorbike.
The third (a Pflueger 1495 1/2 Medalist) has what appears to be a bakelite lever which presses on an aluminum disc (with some kind of 'sapphire' coating).
Perhaps the larger and/or saltwater varieties have more traditional drag disc set-ups?
An interesting thread Bryan...
Cheers, Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

Alto Mare

Welcome Ron! Do you tie your own flies? If you do, show us some pictures, we would love to see them. Enjoy your stay,
Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

alantani

welcome.  never did a post for a fly reel tutorials before, but is it possible to upgrade some fly reels to greased carbon fiber!
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Roger

Welcome aboard from South Louisiana.....
Roger

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."   Mark Twain

Nessie Hunter

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....
WOW!!! WHAT A RIDE!

dblply

Welcome from another Florida Boy...  St. Cloud...  Was down your way in Marathon a few weeks ago...

conchydong

Welcome Ron. I am quite familar with the lower Keys as I was born in Key West (5th generation conch). Spent most of my summers as a kid on Sugarloaf Key and fished a lot of time around Johnson, Sawyer and Riding Keys. Now live in Pompano Beach.
Never flyfished as I am mostly a "meat" type fisherman but love the flats. I used to sponge for part time money. (For those of you unfamiliar, sponging in the Keys is not freeloading, but hooking seasponge for the market). Anyway, you will get a lot of great info here. At least for me, it gave me confidence to do all of my own repairs and maintenance.