Polishing/lapping metal washer discs?

Started by DEA, March 04, 2009, 04:29:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DEA

Hey Alan, do you see any advantage(s)/disadvantage(s) to polishing the metal washers prior to installation of a new Carbontex kit?

The metal Luna washers I have taken apart seem pretty smooth but not "mirror."

I figure the crosshatch on the metal washers give it a little more bite when drag is being pulled but then again, if the surface isn't truely flat, then there is a possibility of uneven pressure on the washers.

Suggestions?

Thanks

Will

alantani

you can get a little more friction with drag washers that are "roughed up," but they really are not that much smoother if polished.  a good example would be the shimano tld 15, 20 and 25 single speed reels.  the pressure plate is polished to a mirror finish.  it is silky smooth with a canvas drag washer, but feels rough with a carbon fiber drag washer.  and specifically for star drag reels, at full drag settings, there is so much pressure on the metal washers that and a slightly cupped washer is easily pressed flat.  not to worry....  alan
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

DEA

Thanks Alan!

Now with regards to using the carbon fiber washers, are they abrasive enough to re-cross hatch the metal washer under pressure even through the metal washer was polished?

If there's enough pressure under load to re-etch them, then it's pointless to polish.

Will

Freedom Won

Just courious to know if you polished the washers or not? And if so what was the out come? Please PM me if you have more details, I was thinking about this as well......
If you're not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!!! Lead, Follow or Get The Hell Out Of The Way!!!

wish I was fishing

Better still post it on here so we can all benefit
Nothing makes a fish BIGGER than almost being caught! .