Diawa Sealine 400

Started by xaf, August 16, 2011, 08:19:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

xaf

Does anyone have any thoughts on upgrading the drag washers on an old Sealine 400?  I did see Alan's tutorial about replacing the old fiber washers with Penn HT100's by doubling them up.  Does anyone know if the Penn Senator 4/0 conversion kit from a 3 to 5 drag stack will fit? Also, didn't see any Smooth drag washers for the 400 on their website.

Any suggestions appreciated.

Nessie Hunter

Some times Dawn at Smoothdrags can cross reference the reel to find right washers etc.  She has way to many to list them all on her site...

Worst Case,  you may have to measure them with a Micrometer  ID X OD X thickness... 
Then they can be matched by size or Fabricated from stock Carbontex...
One way or another!!!!   lol
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....
WOW!!! WHAT A RIDE!

Norcal Pescador

You might be able to use Dawn's Carbontex washer #39 in the 0.5mm thickness for the 1+5 stack. The OD is the same but you'll have to ream/drill out the center a bit. I'll put the C-F washers between two metal washers then proceed slowly to enlarge the hole because the thin C-Fs will tear if you rush things. Now you just need to scare up the two additional metals. ;D  That should work but measure your stock drag stack, the depth of the washer recess on the main gear and the thickness of the metal washers, then get out the adding machine.

Good luck!
Rob
Rob

Measure once, cut twice. Or is it the other way around? ::)

"A good man knows his limits." - Inspector Harry Callahan, SFPD

alantani

we would need to cut both carbon fiber and metal washers to bring this reel to it's full potential.  i doubt that it will happen.   :-\
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

xaf

Thanks for the responses.  I don't know the 400's current popularity, but several years ago it was very popular here on the East coast for grouper fishing.  many preferred it over the Penn Senator because of its solid frame. I'm just surprised there isn't a stock upgrade available for it.  Guess I'll have to do some experimenting and see if I can come up with something.

alantani

this would be a good project for dawn.
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!