Having parts Chromed

Started by xaf, August 17, 2011, 02:43:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

xaf

Where would you go if you were looking to get some small parts such as handles, cross bars, frames, etc. re-chromed?   I know that some car buffs get parts re-chromed but I have no idea where to start looking.  I also know that it probably would be cheaper to buy new parts but they are not always available.  I'm just wondering if re-chroming/refinishing is an option.

Thanks for any suggestions.

kamuwela

where are you located? at one time brown's was the best they are in kentucky. there are ton's in california, i used sherm's in sac for all my bike parts. chroming is not cheap and you need to remove the parts that are not going to be chromed, plastic etc.

xaf

I'm on the east coast of Florida.  I figured it would be expensive but sometimes you just can't find a replacement for some parts.

Alto Mare

Hey Kamu, do you have information on how to contact brown's, I also have a part or two that would like to get chromed. Thanks! Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

seaeagle2

I watch some hot rod tv shows, (I have to have something to tow my boat with), and they did a show about these guys, never used them, don't know anything else about them... http://advancedplating.com/
"One life, don't blow it" Kona Brewing
\"If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there\'d be a shortage of fishing poles\" Doug Larson

alantani

if you actually go through the process, can you let us know how it works?  i have a bucket full of old parts that could use rechroming. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

kamuwela

it's not cheap alan. my bike parts cost the same to replace as it did to chrome.

Alto Mare

Thanks for the info Seaeagle, I will be checking them out. Take care, Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Nessie Hunter

Chrome Plating shops are all over..

Google ~ Chrome Plating (your Zip code here) ~  and several will come up locally (in most cases)!!!!?????

Most of them do more then just 'Chrome' also, ask what they offer!!!
Small parts can sometime be added to other large jobs - if you can wait to get the discount??
Powder coating and Electro plating are also options (not cheap either)....

I live in a small town in the high desert of So Calif, Google gave me several options for diff plating etc..
just to expensive to be practical for me (broke & retired)!!!!!!   LOL

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....
WOW!!! WHAT A RIDE!

Alto Mare

Thanks Frank! I already know it's not cheap, I just want to find out if it's reasonable. Hey, I'm also broke and self employed, no pension waiting for me for when I retire abou 15 years from now;D. I've accumulated all parts for a Penn 10/0 from the 50's and I just found the missing link, wich is the 3 piece spool, it is in good shape but it will need to be re-chromed. I did set a limit on how much I'm willing to spend on it :-\, we'll see how it goes. Sal

Dominick

Hey Sal:  I'll make you a deal.  Send me all the parts, I have the parts chromed and rebuild it, and I'll pay for the chroming.  Then, I'll put it together and send you pictures of it.  Good deal huh?  It won't cost you anything ;D.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Alto Mare

Not a problem nicky, can I at least hold it once when it's done? Besides, I have to check your assembly ;D.

Reels Man

XAF,

Try Industrial Plating in Omaha, NE.
Phone (402) 344-4684
They specialize in all types of plating, (chrome, nickel, copper) and they also do anodizing. They are by far the best I've used.

I've also used Browns in Paducah, KY for Harley parts. At one time they would do nuts, bolts, washers  and small parts but they quit that and became a parts exchange type business thru a dealer system so you didn't know if you got your original parts back or not. I hear they have opened back up to the public now and do custom orders again. 

Reels Man
Russell's Reel Service - Service, Repair & Parts for all brands of fishin' reels.

Alto Mare

Thanks Reels Man, I appreciate the info. I'm not in a hurry with my project, but the information is goo to have though. Take care, Sal

xaf

Thanks from me also Reels Man.  Like Alto I'm not in a big hurry but am trying to do some research.  Now I'm learning that a lot of items may be nickle plated rather then chrome.  It also seems that most of the effort goes into preping the object and not the actual plating.  If i come up with something that works out I'll let you know.