???? about sleeve/bushing that goes into Anti/Reverse Bearing

Started by RWS, August 17, 2011, 02:43:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RWS

The sleeve that fits into the Anti/Rev bearing on the drive shaft, some have a open end and one end that is squared, which end goes down first that rests against the top key drag washer ????  

Bryan Young

If the top metal washer has slots cut out, then the sleeve with protrusions needs to face the drag stack. If it doesn't, then, in most cases, it doesn't matter.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Ken_D

Hi, folks....Abu's made an adjustment to this part.....both ends are now sqaured internally.  I have a note somewhere in my archives, delving into the ins and outs of installation. When I find it, I'll put it up.  KD.

alantani

first guess is that the open end would go down so that the sleeve will not accumulate water.
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

RWS

Thanks KEN I know ABU now has both ends squared and the old ones had one end squared and other end open, thoses are the ones I want to know which way goes down. Waiting for your reply.

Ken_D

OK, here's the reply. Bryan's got it right, for normal apps, but: Ulf from UT Reel  http://www.utreel.com/se/ expands on the part, and suggests the addition of the old mechanical ratchet. Totally do-able by using older brake plates, modifying iar brakeplates as per finnish link below,  or buying the dog post from Swedish link below, and installing on the iar plate.

I'll get the link to that shortly, as I can only hold one 'copy' on the clipboard. Abu's first sleeves want the square end down.   Link to mechanical anti-reverse info: http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=2631.0
Good fixing and fishing. kd.

From Ulf:

Ken,

The new sleeve is an improvement that turned out to be necessary to prevent the sleeve from slipping in the "clutch" when it is under extreme load. Under extreme loads, the previous sleeve design could be slightly oval on the round side, causing the system to fail and lose its grip. I have seen a few example of permanent deformation, even though it's extremely rare (and not due to fishing but pulling old jettys out of water)?.

However, this "extreme load" in nothing the regular angler ever will experience, while the regular anglers IAR systems is out for much worse things such as salt water in the clutch bearing, high moisture at low temperatures etc etc, that will cause the IAR system to fail regardless.

Regular maintenance, and a small drip of heavy oil or liquid grease is the only way to prevent failure, and the only real way to insure your reel against IAR failure under high load is to install an old style anti reverse dog. And to be frank: - Never leave home without it!

How you turn the sleeve of the old design is in practise uncritical for the function.

Ulf