okuma titus gold tg50l

Started by yota924x4, August 18, 2011, 01:51:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

yota924x4

so i picked this off of craigslist, i thought i was driving to buy a tg50w but i get there and its about the size of a 15 but i already drove 45 miles and bought it anyways.  the fellow said he paid 275 pounds for it in the uk and okuma usa doesnt seem to respond to emails about euro products, and the only thing on the interwebz about a tg50l is one that went on ebay in new zealand last year.

here is what i know its forged aluminum frame, 5 ball bearings, stainless gears holds 285 yards or 30lb and canvas drag surface.  the box looks the same as the new okuma products but the reel itself looks like an older model of the titus gold 15 II on the rebuild tutorial. i cracked it open and lubed it up and it looked brand new internally.

so should i fish it? remove the levelwind? or buy a cavalla and hang this on my wall for decoration?
bear in mind im landlocked and only fish the salt 2 weeks a year

Tile

Get a carbontex washer, grease it with Cal's drag grease and fish with it. You can use it for freshwater applications with great success.
In solid fiberglass we trust

alantani

find a carbon fiber drag washer for this reel.  jim nomura may have some in stock.  alan
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

yota924x4

Well the good new is I picked up some cf drag washers the bad news is they were delivered inside a Cavalla 15II.  I'm still going to use the Titus but I'm reserving it for heavy duty flathead catfish and off season wall art.

Thanks for the replies
Chris

By the way I called okuma today with a question and I mentioned this board and they are well aware of Mr Tani and his work