Dealing with sea-sickness

Started by Decker, August 17, 2018, 04:34:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Decker

Quote from: El Pescador on August 17, 2018, 07:45:23 PM
Quote from: jurelometer on August 17, 2018, 07:36:39 PM
What doesn't work:   Sitting in an enclosed cabin next to an smelly old timer that is smoking a big stogie and eating sardines out of a tin.

Stay OUT OF THE DEATH ZONE.

Man, I was out on a 35' Egg Harbor trolling for stripers in the Chesapeake, waiting my turn in the cabin which had a fresh coat of tongue-oil on the teak.  A couple of guys that shared the charter with us were on the back chain-smoking, and their smoke and some diesel fumes were eddying back into the cabin.   I should've been up on the bridge, but it was too late.

Alto Mare

Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

philaroman

Quote from: Decker on August 17, 2018, 05:34:07 PM
Thanks, guys! Higher dosage of Dramamine or the Scopalamine patch.   Gonna try.

I'm a real BAD chummer -- 1' bay/lake chop is enough...  as a kid, I even chummed on trains & trolleys & still get carsick, if I try to read.

Dramamine never used to work & taking more made me blow chunks w/ no help from the Ocean...  then I figured out that instead of MORE, I need SOONER: start like 36-48 hrs., in advance (at least 1 full day before I even see a boat) -- just 1/2 pill every 8 hrs., then normal dosage starting 2 hrs. before takeoff...  worked great: 4-5' waves -- no problem, even w/ modest libations

handi2

The best thing to do is throw a rope out back and get into the water. It works.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Decker

Quote from: handi2 on August 17, 2018, 09:12:57 PM
The best thing to do is throw a rope out back and get into the water. It works.

That way you can troll and chum at the same time ;D

boon

A local pharmacy used to sell a solution many people swore by. It was a combination of phenergan (Phomethazine) plus scopalamine. Note that phenergan is a sedative so might make you a bit of a slouch, but if that's preferable to making your own chum trail then it might be a good trade-off.

Gfish

Best source of ginger I've yet to use is the ginger sushi from the deli stuff. I saved mine outta the deli sushi container and didn't need it for myself, but gave to a guy after watching him hurl like a pro for about 2 hours last time I went out. Once he started, it seemed like he couldn't stop blowin chunks 'till his gut n' duodenum was empty a everything. Then talked him into tryin it out and it seemed to work! Ya never know for sure what really get's you better though... Guy was really grateful!

I've given the ginger candy to seasick people and they just ralphed it back up. Maybe a timing thing?, or a completely empty upper GI tract thing? I use it while in my yak and does seeeem ta help..., but that's very mild nausea at best.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Reel 224

Ruth says eat ginger.................................Joe
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

Lunker Larry

Had a young Corporal that worked for me and deployed on ship. They sent him back just shy of two weeks and he looked terrible. Eyes looked like the arsehole of a buzzard in a power dive  :o
You know that moment when your steak is on the grill and you can already feel your mouth watering.
Do vegans feel the same when mowing the lawn?

otownjoe

I like the ginger remedy. It gives  a pleasant taste to my  breakfast as it is coming back up. I have struggled with sea sickness my whole life. I try to avoid high acid foods and fatty foods. No orange juice, tomato sauce and limit coffee. Not drinking coffee would be better but that's not going to happen. The only fool proof remedy i have found is to go lay down when i start turning green. Thats why big party boats are my favorite  way to fish. 

Reel 224

Quote from: otownjoe on August 18, 2018, 02:00:45 AM
I like the ginger remedy. It gives  a pleasant taste to my  breakfast as it is coming back up. I have struggled with sea sickness my whole life. I try to avoid high acid foods and fatty foods. No orange juice, tomato sauce and limit coffee. Not drinking coffee would be better but that's not going to happen. The only fool proof remedy i have found is to go lay down when i start turning green. Thats why big party boats are my favorite  way to fish. 

;D ;D ;D ;) Do you do that laying down. ;D ;D..........................Joe
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

nelz

I had no idea so many of y'all had this problem, I don't feel so embarrassed now. I hate having to take drugs for this because they make me mentally slooowwww and drowsy.

Nobody's mentioned the electric bracelet? I haven't tried it but I hear they work well. Maybe that's the ticket if you don't care for the drugs.

Btw, ginger doesn't prevent motion sickness, it only helps to relieve nausea, (doesn't work at all for me though). :(

Dominick

I get seasick if I don't use the scopolamine patch.  Ask your doctor for a prescription.  I put the patch on the night before I am fishing.  It has worked for me.  I don't go on a boat without it.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Donnyboat

I get sea sick every time I go out, with out medication, so I take a couple of tablets about 1 hour before I get on the boat, we have two common tablets over here in Aussie that are for travel sickness, travacalm, & quell, I find the travacalm is the best for me, they make you dry so take plenty of water with you, they also make you pee lots, also if you try to keep your self bizzy helps, make up a few riggs whyle you traveling, keep you nose into the fresh air away from fumes, as I am in control of my boat, & responcable for my crew, I just dont try to go with out tablets, not worth the risk, two tablets last all day for me, I never stay out over night, so I cant say when a second lot of tablets would be required, good luck Joe, just remember to leave a few fish in the water for me, mate, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

wailua boy

My only other tip/observation is there something about the act of actually driving/steering a vessel that seems to alleviate seasickness.