Conventional reels for surface irons

Started by Corroded, August 19, 2018, 09:02:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oc1

I gave up on my thumb years ago.  Give me some centrifugal brakes or magnets.  No spool tension knob please.
-steve

farmer56

farmer 56  here ...   i'm  in  oc1's  camp  ...   is  this  fresh  water  or  ocean  ......  fresh  water , cut  my  teeth  casting  3/4  to     1 1/2   oz.  daredevil  type  lures  .  used  abu  garcia  5500   and  6500  reels   ...    they  had  centrifugal brakes  AND  cast  control  knob  you  tightend  so  the  lure  fell  slow  enough  to  not  overrun  spool  ...   great  way  to  learn ...  then  moved  to  daiwa  magcaster  1500  pmf      magnetic   ...  this  was  used  to  cast  1/4  oz.  jigs  into  wind   ..  got  very  good  ...  both  systems  were  used  as  a  learning  tool   ,  as  i  got  better  the  dials  were  backed  off  ...   BUT   not  totally  off  ....   if  you  are  throwing  3 oz.  plus  ocean  fishing  i  just  use  thumb   ...  currant  canada  iron  tosser    1 1/4  oz. lures  ,   is  penn   fathom  star  12   .... one  son  uses   penn   fathom  star 15lw    one  son  uses  abu  garcia  6500    ....  we  all  3  have  some  cast  controll  in  use   ..  we  cast  non-stop  all day   AND  we  all  will  have  that  pesky backlash  at  least  once  a  day     ...  hope  this  helps  dennis

Jigtosser

What are you fishing for ?  ???
West coast surface iron goes way back to the 1950's
The reel that started it all for me was the Penn Jigmaster, aka Penn 500.
That reel has served me well for over 50 years.
I do prefer the narrow version, the Penn 501.
My favorite reel is the Newell 322, it is light, simple, and very good for tossing Iron's.

The other reels mentioned are all very capable for tossing jigs, I have used them all.
As for the cast control, an educated thumb goes a long way, never had the need for the mag control.
Which reel you end up with, is up to you, and what fish you are targeting.
Try as many as you can if possible, and practice casting with the same weight as the jigs you will be using.
And did I mention, Practice, Practice, Practice!!!
Backlash's will happen, so get over it now ! Practice and you will get good at it...

Also, finding the right rod to throw those jigs is just as important as the reel you choose...Butt,
That brings up a whole new discussion... ;D
Dan

Reel 224

Daiwa Fire Fox, I use for top plugs and mettle. Used it for years caught a lot of big stripe bass with it. Still have it in my arsenal.

Joe
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

farmer56

hey  jigtosser  what  do  west coast   surface irons  weigh ?    would  spoons  be  considerd  a  surface  iron  ??   

Jigtosser

Farmer,
The light surface irons we use are 1.5 oz to about 4 oz
There have been many brands that have come and gone...
They are a metal sand cast lure that are between 4 and 8 inches long, painted in various colors and patterns. Some are chrome, or a color and chrome.
I would post some pic's butt, I'm not that technical  ???
You can see some examples @charkbait.com
Look in the tackle shop under casting and jigging lures.
Tady and Salas are common old school brands.
You will like this site, lots of tackle and a lot of useful info.
Enjoy,
Dan

SoCalAngler

Here you go, some So Cal iron. These are just a few. I didn't show the J hook models I use for tuna, the Megabait style as well as others.

SoCalAngler

The larger on the bottom left are Salas 7x lights which are 6.5" and 3.5 oz. This is about the largest and heaviest I use for the surface iron. Bottom right are 6X jrs which are 4.5" and 4.5 oz and I mainly use these for the yoyo iron.

Jigtosser

SoCal,
Thanks for posting the pic's, that will show him what we use here on the left coast.  ;D
I have a couple of those Tady bent metal jigs left from our Albacore days, they were deadly !
Tite lines,
Dan

MarkT

Yeah, I still have a couple of those Tady Y2's in blue/chrome with both a fixed and treble hooks.
For surface iron I go from some really light YoHoHo's up to JRI 4's that are about 4 oz.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

SoCalAngler

Found a few more on the computer.

SoCalAngler

Wish Tady still made that blue/chrome 4/0 glow back in brass. This is my last one :(

I just weighted it and with the hook it is 7 oz.

basto

I find my TLD 15/30 and 20/40 good for casting metals. Be careful how tight you do your handle nut up on the Fathom 25n. I sheared the head off mine without too much force.
DAM Quick 3001      SHIMANO Spedmaster 3   Jigging Master PE5n

Swami805

Do what you can with that you have where you are

SoCalAngler

I'm not sure? They still make 4/0 glow backs with a single hook but not in brass.

Edit: The reason I like the brass is because they get bit. Better than the non brass ones? I way never know because the brass jigs is what I have fished most often in the iron for BFT.

Not to say other methods don't work. I have caught most of my BFT on bait and many on plastics with leadheds. But, when a fast deep drop is needed I find the brass 4/0 hard to beat.

Out of the last 4 BFT tuna I have caught on the Tady 4/0, 3 were picked up on the drop. Some really like the flat fall type of jigs and that's cool, but I will stand side by side with several other fishing those and hookup just as much if not better I feel. Is it the jig? The fisherman? Naw it has to be the jig because many times I fish with people that really know what their doing, since no one hardly fishes them anymore you just don't hear how well they do.