Bristlecone Pines of the White Mountains, CA Aug. 11, 2018

Started by El Pescador, August 19, 2018, 09:21:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

El Pescador

Here we go, but this thread has NOTHING to do with fishing, other than me 'fish'n' for a cold one at the end of the trip!

We leave Bishop, head south on 395 to Big Pine, make a left turn, then begin the grind up hill.

Just a great ride today,

Here is from where we traveled.

The 14,000'+ peaks in the distance,  but smoke almost blocked out them from view,

We stopped at a vista point, and I told Jen, the trail calls me.

On the way, a great spot for lunch and a nice bottle of Chianti!

A return trail, looks pretty much the same route.

Along the trail, cactus, I have never seen cactus in the Sierra Nevada Mtns.  And the reason why, the White Mountains are western most part of the Great Basin Mountain ranges.  Here, the water has "no connection to the oceans".  WOW, did not know that.

Another species along the trail, keep in mind, we are at the 9,300' elevation, it is dry and cold up here, most of the year.

This one is for me, juniper, sagebrush & gnarled tree.

Climbing thru 10,000', still not there,

Almost there, most of the trees you see are Bristlecone pine trees.

Need a tow, no AAA service, I'd bet Dominick would do it for $500 ;D

This road will take you to the highest car pass in all of California, 11,600', but do suggest a 4X4.

Bristlecone Pine tree groves are few and spread-out.

Arrive at the interpretive center, head out for a 1/2 mile walk to see this cabin, built entirely from Bristlecone Pine trees in 1860!

This caught my attention, a post, supporting a beam, sitting on a flat rock, up to code do you think???

I studied the axe work here, and you can see up close individual cut marks from the swing of the ax.

Let you mind drift here: it's a friday, Aug. 1860, and the job foreman yells out, "Slick, we need ONE more Bristlecone Pine log, 24' long, a foot and a half wide.  Get going, when you're done, it's Miller time!!!!                        

Here is a Bristlecone Pine tree up close,

Here are the identifying things to look for with a Bristlecone Pine.

On the way back from the cabin, others are gathering around this dead and standing tree.  Only to find out, they are ready to take a bore sample.  this only happens 2 or 3 times per summer, the tree scientists are busy on research projects.

And here is what they use, an increment borer - with an aggreseive cutting tip, 30 turns and you are 9" into the tree.

I got my turn, technically two turns!!!!

here is our sample,  tree was estimated to be 500+ years old.

And the PINE SMELL, 10X what you wood expect!!!!

Around the center, were 50 blue flags - these are BRAND NEW Bristlecone pine trees germinated after the 2015 wet winter we had here in CA.

Now can I give you a bit of a headache??  Up till 2013 the oldest tree here was Methuselah, 4,853 years old,  BUTT another tree has been found to be 5,067 years old,

Sounds old until you figure out when the tree first germinated, that wood be 3,049 BC!!!!

Got a headache now, well let me reload on you, cause the tree scientists are now studying the older, dead and down Bristlecone Pine trees, and some now take us back 11,000 years - 11,000 years ago. That is hard for my pea-brain to absorb!!!

Well, it's time for lunch, and Jen and I are enjoying a lunch of Dry Salami (happens to be Molinari Brand Salami), Swiss Cheese, Socialbles crackers, and fruit.

Check this out, at 10,000'+, my compass has a bubble in it, at sea level, there is none?

On our way back, and here is my last artsy shot.

I pulled this photo off the internet, and give full notice to the person who published the photo.

What a day, if you ever get near the eastern Sierra Nevada Mtns, please stop by and enjoy this unique area, we sure did!

Wayne

Never let the skinny guys make the sandwiches!!  NEVER!!!!

oc1

That's all pretty impressive Wayne.  I had no idea.  Thank you for the education.
-steve

Alto Mare

Nice area and very interesting, thanks for showing it to us Wayne.
Did you steal a chunk of that valuable  wood so I could make you a knob? ;D

Very nice!

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

theswimmer

Wayne , It does not surprise me that we both have the same Silva compass and  SAK......
Lotta miles on both.
And you could have picked up a piece of down wood for a knob , just nothing alive.
There is nothing like lying flat on your back on the deck, alone except for the helmsman aft at the wheel, silence except for the lapping of the sea against the side of the ship. At that time you can be equal to Ulysses and brother to him.

Errol Flynn

El Pescador

Sal & Jonathan,

I think the sound of a chain saw might bring the wrath of the US Forest Rangers!!!!  but Sal, what a great idea!!!!

as for the bubble in the compass, I called the compass manufacture, Silva, and they told me it was odd, but did not in any way effect the compass to point to Magnetic North,

BUTT if I wanted a replacement, they would send out a new compass.

Like you, with MILES of off-trail hiking with this compass, I told them thank you, and I'll keep the compass.

and as for the SAK and the MEALS I have prepared it it, wow, almost makes me cry.

It was a great day trip for sure,

Wayne

theswimmer

There is nothing like lying flat on your back on the deck, alone except for the helmsman aft at the wheel, silence except for the lapping of the sea against the side of the ship. At that time you can be equal to Ulysses and brother to him.

Errol Flynn

theswimmer

Ya , cutting standing wood will get you in lot of trouble , But you can pick up a loose piece .
Some places in the National Forest you can not gather wood but I didn't see any regs when I visited about 5 years ago.

Errol Flynn

El Pescador

El Pescador

Quote from: Alto Mare on August 19, 2018, 09:56:27 PM
Did you steal a chunk of that valuable  wood so I could make you a knob? ;D
Very nice!
Sal

Sal,

here is the wood you want to use for a fishing knob.

It is Mountain Mahogany - much harder, and takes a good stain for a rich color!!!

Place in Bishop, called Mahogany Smoked Meats.  And they ONLY use Mountain Mahogany, not hickory, no pecan, no oak, Nothing but MM.

Chili & Gary-the-BUTT man, check out this wood for your meat smoking process.

https://smokedmeats.com/  

Next time there, or Fred or Jonathan, someone will get you some of this wood, they sell it in the meat shop. 

that's why I'm called the Idea Guy ;D

foakes

Great pics & report, Wayne!

Thanks!

Sue and I did a little 11 mile day hike day before yesterday.  At the 5.5 mile, on the way in, we found a grove of maybe 200 ancient Bristlecone pines at just under or over 9000'.

Ate lunch under a giant old Bristlecone.  Here is a photo of it with Sue off to the right.

Our lunch was a pastrami sandwich, apple, nectarine, and baby carrots, washed down with a quart of water.

Left our house at 8:50 — back home at 6:30 — dinner was BBQ'd hot dogs with Nathan's Franks, Potato Salad, and Chili Beans.  11 more miles under the belt for this year.

Best,

Fred

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

El Pescador

Quote from: theswimmer on August 19, 2018, 10:42:38 PM
Ya , cutting standing wood will get you in lot of trouble , But you can pick up a loose piece .
Some places in the National Forest you can not gather wood but I didn't see any regs when I visited about 5 years ago.

the Regs have caught up with you, EVERYTHING in the Inyo Nat. Park - Acient Bristlecone Pine Forest is VERBOTEN.

https://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/inyo/recreation/hiking/recarea/?recid=70821&actid=50

Bristlecone Pine and Limber Pine are protected, no collecting.
No camping or campfires in the Ancient Bristlecone Pine Forest.
Hikers must stay on trails.
No bicycles on trails.
Dogs are allowed on leash.
Schulman Grove and Patriarch Grove are day use only, closed from 10pm to 6am.
Violators may be fined up to $5,000 and /or 6 months imprisonment.

Seems like you can't have any fun any more.

Wayne

Swami805

Do what you can with that you have where you are

mikeysm

Benni3

This is very cool and great photos :) i use a compass like that for wind direction when I'm fishing  ;D

Big Tim

Man, I love me some Eastern Side of the Sierras...Thank you for sharing.

BT