Using the Hedgehog pin remover

Started by Killerbug, August 19, 2011, 07:34:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Killerbug

Just wanted to share my first experience with the Hedgehog pin remover. This little handy tool, is a piece of first grade Japanese engineering, made to safely remove spool bearing pins with a minimum risk, of damaging the spool shaft. 

This is how the tool look like, it comes with a list of supported reel models, as well as a step by step written instruction in japanese.

In this little example I will remove the pin from the Okuma Akena baitcaster, a pretty straight forward procedure, as the pin can be pulled out both ways
on this model.

The pin remover has two bars to push with, both driven by a tread. One for pushing the pin halfway trough the shaft, and a thinner part for pushing the pin out of the shaft.

First i pushed the pin half way using the thick part of the bar, a little grease on the tip of the bar will ease up the stress absorbed by the pin.

The next step is using the thin side of the bar to push the pin trough the shaft.  No force at all is required, it pops right out when turning the handle.

To reinsert the pin again, use the thick bar, and push the pin right back. 

Please beware that different reel models, uses different types of pins. Some brands use conical shaped pins, but I guess most in here are aware of that.  The Hedgehog pin remover, is a neat little tool that makes pin removing a joy, and can be found in Japan for about 38 $.

I have not tested this tool yet on other baitcasters than the Akena, but I will keep you posted is i find any issues with the tool.

Regards, and tight lines, or "Knæk og Bræk" as we say over here.

http://forum.esoxhunt.dk
-----------------------------
They say Catch and Release fishing is a lot like golf.
You don't have to eat the ball to have a good time

Irish Jigger

Thank's Killerbug for a great post and description of this beautifully engineered tool in action. The only reference I'd previously seen was in the link here.

http://www.japantackle.com/Tuning_parts/Change_spool_bearing.htm

redsetta

Cheers Killerbug - great post.
All the best, Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

Killerbug

Thanks for your positive feedbacks. I bought the pin remover at Plat, an extraordinary well assorted Japanese tackleshop, with a lot of exclusive saltwater stuff as well as Japanese reels.   

http://www.plat.co.jp

CapeFish

Hmm can't see a thing, only the imageshack frog, same for other posts, do you guys perhaps know how to fix this problem, I am having the same problem on other sites  :-\ :-\

broadway

I've ordered from Plat.com and they ship very quickly for being over seas... thanks for the heads Killerbug!
Dom

aus bass

Just ordered my Spool Pin removal tool from Plat. Lets see if they can ship to Australia....

Aussie dollar is strong so total cost should be down.
The greatest lie a reel repairer ever told was "yes dear this is a customers reel".

alantani

well, after this i'm gonna have to get one!
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

coastalobsession

Coastal Obsession Deckhand and reel cleaning

aus bass

Just received my pin removal tool from Plat. I ordered it on the 9th Nov and they advised me that they had sold out but were expecting a new shipment on the 25th Nov. it is the 6th Dec now so shipping from Japan took only 6 business days. Pretty impressive little tool. Smaller than i thought in real life however.

will test it out tonight on my Abu Revo inshore (will be careful of the pin direction of course). Will let you guys know.
The greatest lie a reel repairer ever told was "yes dear this is a customers reel".

Pro Reel

It's an impresive little tool and similar in design to what I have always thought we needed, which is something that can give an even force straight down on the pin. The only flaw i have heard so far is that it doesn't work or at least not well on many daiwa reels or other reels where the pin sits further back than the edges of the spool.

Nessie Hunter

Quote from: Pro Reel on December 06, 2011, 01:54:14 PM
It's an impresive little tool and similar in design to what I have always thought we needed, which is something that can give an even force straight down on the pin. The only flaw i have heard so far is that it doesn't work or at least not well on many daiwa reels or other reels where the pin sits further back than the edges of the spool.

That looks like an issue to me also?????

I was lucky enough to get a ReelSpeed Pin removal tool..
Thing is awesome, and works perfectly IMHO...
Snap out, snap in like magic...
http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=2510.0

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....
WOW!!! WHAT A RIDE!

Killerbug

I have used it since i posted this tread, and I have no issues to report. I have only used it on tree Daiwas, all where Lunas. 

The advantage is that the Hedgehoq is very gentle towards the spindle, the disadvantage is that it will not stand up to daily use on large rusty sea reels.  I see the Hedgehog as a completion to other tools, especially if you have to work on very expensive reels.

inhotpursuit

Hi Morten i recieved a tool last and was suprised how small it is ,i was changing out a bearing on the spool of a okuma citrix  which was really tight, i found that the threads on the hedgehog are not long enough and towards the end of the removal the pin was still stiff and wrecked the last 3 threads on the body of the tool . my tool is red in color and was made by squat precision in japan, have you had any problems with yours since your last post