Molokai Ono Run

Started by Tightlines667, August 20, 2018, 11:00:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tightlines667

I had a chance to finally go fishing with my fisheries biologist friend, Dave Itano on his new to him Blackfin29.

We fished out of Hawaii Kai, from 0330-1900hrs.

Worked the ledge up to makuapuu, then accross to Molokai, and the north shore up to Kalaupapapa and back. We went 9 for 13 on Ono, and 1 for 3 on Mahi. Lost I jet to an Ono, had 2 mahi jump the hook near the boat, and landed all ono that got hooked. We ran 2 ballyhoo rigs which were responsable for 10 of 16 bites. Interestingly, we couldn't buy a bite on the mauraders, la bonita, DX, or similar plugs we kept testing in the short corner position.

Good fishing, good company, and great scenery
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Tightlines667

Pics
Hope springs eternal

Tightlines667

More pics...
Hope springs eternal

Tightlines667

Actually on further examination, the new Nomad DTX minnow did get bit, just didn't hook.
Hope springs eternal

steelfish

congrats JOhn,

you're always showing us great fishing down there

The Baja Guy

Vintage Offshore Tackle

Congratulations on the great trip John!

Benni3

Thanks for taking us along :D always looks like a great time on your boat  ;D

Jim Fujitani

Dave has a nice boat.  I've only seen it in photos.  Dave is about an unassuming guy one will ever meet.

Some background info on Dave Itano.  He is a known authority of Pacific pelagic fisheries, living in Hawaii for over 30 years.  Many fishermen use his published information when trying to identify their catch from amongst the different species of tuna, from young juveniles to reproductive adults. 

Dave is the youngest son of the late Dr. Harvey and Rose Itano.  Dave's father worked alongside Dr. Linus Pauling, in Sickle Cell Anemia research in the late 40's, in San Diego. 

Tightlines667

Quote from: Jim Fujitani on August 21, 2018, 07:03:53 PM
Dave has a nice boat.  I've only seen it in photos.  Dave is about an unassuming guy one will ever meet.

Some background info on Dave Itano.  He is a known authority of Pacific pelagic fisheries, living in Hawaii for over 30 years.  Many fishermen use his published information when trying to identify their catch from amongst the different species of tuna, from young juveniles to reproductive adults.  

Dave is the youngest son of the late Dr. Harvey and Rose Itano.  Dave's father worked alongside Dr. Linus Pauling, in Sickle Cell Anemia research in the late 40's, in San Diego.  

Jim,

Thanks for the background information on Dave.  He is one of the most knowledgable and experienced fisherman, and biologist I have had the pleasure to know.  I read several of his scoentific publications on tuna in the late 1990s, and made it a point to go and meet the man shortly after arriving in Hawaii in 1999.  He has a deep understanding of the history of fishing from California throughout the pacific, as well as the science and management of the fisheries that occur there.  It is a pleasure to know the man, and I continue to try to soak up some of his knowledge.

Unassuming fits Dave to a T.

John
Hope springs eternal

Newell Nut

That was a great run John. Congrats.

Rivverrat

Wow!  That water is really blue! ... Jeff

steelhead_killer

I just booked a trip in November to Molokai and was looking for some good information and folks to fish with while I am there.  Does he guide or charter?  That picture of the baked Ono looks fabulous! 

Thanks!

Andy
><)))">

Jim Fujitani

John, I know you and Dave are well aware.  But for everyone else who doesn't follow as closely, there's a big hurricane bearing down on Hawaii.  Let's hope it turns south some.

Good luck and stay safe.

Tightlines667

Quote from: steelhead_killer on August 22, 2018, 01:14:20 PM
I just booked a trip in November to Molokai and was looking for some good information and folks to fish with while I am there.  Does he guide or charter?  That picture of the baked Ono looks fabulous! 

Thanks!

Andy

Dave doesn't charter.  He has uaed his boat for research/pelagic tagging/tracking trips, and bringing his students from UH out and giving them expeeoence catching Pelagics.  He is a busy guy, and its difficult enough for his friends to get out fishing with him.  Also, his boat is berthed at his home in Hawaii Kai on Oahu. 

I would be happy to take you out, but I too am on Oahu, and I have plans to pull the boat next weekend for an extended dry dock period.  Not sure when it will be ready to fish again.

There are one or two guys that do charter out of Molokau, and many options out of Oahu.  I csn provide a few recomendations locally if you like.

John
Hope springs eternal

Tightlines667

Quote from: Jim Fujitani on August 22, 2018, 03:17:43 PM
John, I know you and Dave are well aware.  But for everyone else who doesn't follow as closely, there's a big hurricane bearing down on Hawaii.  Let's hope it turns south some.

Good luck and stay safe.

I do work for NOAA, and have been recieving daily briefings on the storm straight from the source.  The trades and upper level winds in the MHI (especially further north) have strengthened, while the storm itself remains in more favorable southern waters and has strengthened.  As it approaches the MHIs and encounters the stronger trades, and upper level shear it will weaken and shift westwards.  Consequently, windfield related effects to Oahu are expected to be less than anticipated (~60% chance to tropical storm force winds, 10% of hurricane force winds).  It will likely blow 25-35knots for 12-24hrs, and maybe 10hours in the 30-40knot range here locally.  It will likely move much closer to Kauai, but the storm will have weakened by that time so winds will likely remain below 50knots.  We have a full moon with high tides, that will amplify the hurricane-driven surf, especially on asouth and east facing shores.  It has significant moisture, is moving slow, and as it breaks down will create wetter conditions.  The same forces that tear tye storm apart will result in greater rainfall.  We are looking at 10-12" in 24hrs on Oahu, with 2 day totals in some areas approaching 20".  Kauai will experience much greater rainfall.  Kona on the bigisland may have some significant hurricane weather, with tropical storm force winds and lots of rain highly likely. 

I opted to leave my boat in tye water tied to a floating dock in Iroquois Point Harbor.  All valuables are removed, full insurance coverage is up, all hatches secured/taped, photos taken, most gear is removed, and vessel is secured with double lines. 

I also have my hurricane kit, propane, cooler with ice, plenty of water ready to ride out tye storm, if it does happen to shift 50-100nm further north than predicted.

Eveeyone on the islands is taking this one more seriously.

John
Hope springs eternal