Handle slop?

Started by sinkerswim, August 19, 2011, 09:15:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sinkerswim

There is a noticeable amount about 1/8-1/4" of handle slop in my friend's Pro Gear c/s551. It is definitely not the anti reverse bearing nor, the dog.

I'm thinking it is possibly a worn gear sleeve. It was difficult to get the handle back on from the top, a couple wiggles add it dropped to the sleeve shoulder.

When reassembled, the handle nut is snug, not strip tight.

I dread the possibility of it being the gear sleeve. As I wouldn't have a clue as to where one could be purchased. Furthermore, he said he might sell the reel after I service it. That would definitely make me the buyer  ;) Sweet reel, no corrosion!

Thanks
Pete

alantani

not to worry.  i have a whole bunch of 5 series parts.  what you describe sounds more like gear lash.  that's the amount of play between the gear teeth.  i have gears as well. but what you have sounds normal.  take a look at all of the individual parts and see if you can find the slop.  alan
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

sinkerswim

Thank you, yet again, Alan! Whew! Good to know you have parts, should the need arise!

I'll take it apart again and try to deduce what, if anything, it might be. As you said this sounds normal. Will also try to locate another fisherman who is fortunate enough to own a cs 551. And, use it for comparison.

Before I ever found this site, I'd never have given this matter a second thought. Now, with a little more than eight months under my belt. A pittance compared to most of you guys. I am now striving for perfection. However, sometimes perfection just can't be achieved. But, I guarantee, I'll tinker away to find that out.

Oh yeah, I'm addicted!

fshncrazy

Not an expert but messing with a lot of my progears, I noticed that 1 of my 551 had some slop when I turned handle backward a little.  I figured the dog was only working because there was play when I moved the handle back ever so slightly.  My other 551's did not have this play.    I immediately went to part# 4c-540 clutch bearing and part# 27-500 drag spacer.  Took my known good bearing and spacer from my other 551 and mix matched to see which part was the culprit.  Turned out to be the clutch bearing (anti-reverse bearing).  The spacer is suppose to spin in one direction only.  It ended up spinning both ways.  Not sure if this was helpful but just thought I'd mention it.   I love progear reels and whenever I can I'll post to help out.  Here's another probably not related but  make sure that the drag spacer seats properly on the dome washer when tightening the star sometimes you'll miss it and you'll notice when you crank the handle it feels wrong.  

sinkerswim

Sorry, I should have posted this a while back. The problem was that the handle nut wasn't tightened down enough. Yes, as Alan said there is a very small amount of play which is normal. Negligible at best and definitely doesn't hinder proper operation whatsoever.

Even better news, my friend sold it to me! At a really good price as well ;).

Nice reel! I really have to wonder why these guys went out of business. Pro Gear reels are made very well. With some minor upkeep should last me a lifetime. Shame they didn't make it. I'll certainly build my star drag arsenal with used Pro Gears!

Thanks for the input guys!

fshncrazy

I hear ya.  Lucky you... you got to get your friends reel.   I too picked up my very first 551 from a friend, he bought it new at the store, never used it and let me try it out.  Next thing you know its mine for a very nice price.  Now I have so many pro gears its like an addiction.  Everytime a colored 551 or 501 comes around I go nuts. LOL  Anyways glad you got it working good.