Aftermarket handle for a Penn 970 Mag?

Started by Pelagicide, August 24, 2018, 04:18:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pelagicide

The Penn 970/980 Mag reels are my favorite reels for surf fishing on North Carolina's Outer Banks - they cast like a dream, are dependable, and have plenty of power to reel in a big Drum in heavy surf. I bought my first 980 in 1985 as a high school graduation gift for myself and fished with it for everything from throwing 8 plus bait in heavy surf, live bait fishing for King Mackerel, shark fishing from the beach, to throwing plugs and swim baits for Striped Bass.

I sold it this past winter after an accident and a Dr's mistake left me disabled and living off of social security disability - I'm physically and financially not able to drive 6-8 hours to decent surf fishing and I have a friend who fishes even more before I was injured and he has always coveted my 980 so I sold it to him figuring it would be put to good use.

But life just wasn't the same without it, and I'm going to try to get out at least a few times this fall, and saw on eBay a 970 that was in as close to mint condition as a used reel could be. Not a scratch on it and the chrome is still super shiny with zero corrosion. I want to trick it out a little so a nice handle and round knob is at the top of the list, and came across a picture of a couple of Mag 10's with handles I like and wondered if anyone knows where I can get one.

I'm also going to put new ABEC 7 bearings in it - I found some on eBay and ordered what I thought were a pair since they were advised as for reel upgrades but it turns out they only sent me one, so I have to wait for the other one before I can do anything. I figured I would look for a handle so if anyone knows where I can find one like this I'd appreciate a tip on where I can find one like the one in the picture.

Swami805

The blades look like motive fabrication and the knobs look like pro challenger. They're both listed in the vendor section. Lots of mag power fans on here!
Do what you can with that you have where you are

JRD

Quote from: Swami805 on August 24, 2018, 04:51:55 AM
The blades look like motive fabrication and the knobs look like pro challenger. They're both listed in the vendor section. Lots of mag power fans on here!

Sheridan is correct, those are Motive blades and BPs knobs. 

xjchad

I'll add that while the 970/980 are awesome reels, if you're looking for something a size smaller, the Mag 10's seen in that photo are awesome too!
Husband, Father, Fisherman

Pelagicide

You know, I've thought about the Mag 10 before but for some reason never really considered them but after reading the Monster Mag I might just have to try one after I finish the 970!

thorhammer

Hey brother, I'm still fishing 980's as my old drum reels, headed in a month to Rodanthe. I drilled out stock blades, either counterbalanced or single power arm, and put aluminum aftermarket knobs from the auction site on them, and love them for added power cranking lead in. You can do that route, but the arm and knob you see from MF and PC in your picture are the highest quality.

Alan Tani's stainless blades and Ted's Maxed-Out anodized aluminum blades are also sweet, I've probably got thirty between the two of those fine gentleman.

Where are you from?

John

Pelagicide

Hi John,
I'm from Maryland - Gaithersburg.  When I was going down to the OBX a lot I was living in Northern Virginia, but when I got injured I had to move back in with family. I usually stay in Buxton and fish the stretch between Avon and the Point. When the bite is on the Point is a lot of fun, but when I'm sick of the crowd there are some really nice stretches of beach towards Avon. Or south to the inlet. I've regretted selling that 980, I should have held onto it just for the memories, but the 970 I just got looks like it was just taken out of the box, it's sweet!

thorhammer

They were ahead of their time, and I think maybe people hadn't wrapped their heads around a surfcaster over a hundred bucks 20-30 years ago. frequently they go for "new" cost even now and are much coveted, the 970 perhaps the most so. We can only hope Tom at Cortez conversions makes frame kits one of these days and these reels will quickly become even more hoarded and bulletproof than they are now. Sal hooked me up with a double-dogged plate for my 970; it's a Cadillac piece. I hope you get a chance to crank on it!