Roller Tip Question

Started by mo65, August 22, 2018, 01:10:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mo65

Hey folks...I'm new to these roller guides...and I have a problem with the tip on a Senator rod I'm working on. I took the tip apart, cleaned the rust and grime off it, and lubed it. It has a "thump" to it...vibrates the tip during line retrieve. Can this be fixed or is it worn out or something? ???
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

SoCalAngler

Most likely it's the bearing that's the sleeve that goes inside the roller. See if you could take apart the roller right below the tip replace each component one at a time and see where the problem is. Most roller guides you'll be able to get replacement parts for.

FatTuna

Does the rod have a stripper guide? Maybe those rollers are making noise/vibration.

Is it making any high pitched squealing?

What lubricant did you use? I like to use oil even though the Aftco guides say to use grease. I use ReelX.

Sometimes those sleeves need to be replaced. Use a qtip to try and find where the thump is coming from.

mo65

Thanks for the tips guys. I checked the bearing sleeve...it seemed ok but I reamed it anyway just in case it was out of round...possibly causing the vibration. Relubed with oil instead of grease too. Everything looked smooth but it was still vibrating like a brass tumbler! I went and made some dinner and thought about it. What part hadn't I inspected? Think pooh bear...think. Wait, the guide housing itself! I took the roller off again and sure as a day is long, one side was galled, causing that roller to chatter. I dressed it with a file and it's now much better. 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~