Resurrecting the 5000C

Started by mo65, August 28, 2018, 05:34:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mo65

Here's a true classic that can really benefit from a few modern upgrades. With better drags and a larger handle these old warriors needn't rust away in the garage anymore. Just a few simple improvements make them fish fantastic, and at a much lower price than you'd think. What I did to this reel cost only about $20!
   When I took this reel apart I was surprised to see the insides were pretty clean...I guess since it's been retired and in storage for years. Usually these things have several greases packed inside from servicings over the years. 

The original drags are a phenolic base washer and a leather washer inside the gear. I replaced these with a carbontex set from Smooth Drag.

These click plates are notorious for the plating flaking off and can be severe enough at times to make the drag rough. This one isn't too bad...but I'm going to sand and polish it anyway.

It should perform smooth as silk now.

Setting the drive shaft, AR dog, and base drag washer into position. The base washer got a coat of Cal's, the ratchet teeth got Penn blue, and the dog post got CorrosionX HD.

The main gear's teeth got Penn blue while the inside drag washer got Cal's. One big "squish" and most of that Cal's will end up with the Penn grease, but they must mix well, as I've never had any problem with them not playing well together.

Top off the stack with the click plate, spring washer, drive shaft bearing, shims and spacers. A dab of grease on the pinion/yoke and oiling the clutch mechanisms leaves it ready to button up.

Now here's the original handle. Note how tiny it is...I have to turn it with my finger tips. This isn't a huge problem for bass and trout but for catfishing I'd prefer a better grip.

This replacement handle gives me something to hang onto. The blade was a bit too thick...I had to remove a little behind the mounting hole to catch a few more threads. Possibly my drive shaft's threads were worn, but these replacement handles are thicker than stock handles.

Sa-weet! Properly lubed and set up I think these old C models are as smooth as my modern 200 bearing Ambassadeurs.(hee hee...seems like they have that many bearings these days!) 8)

~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

thorhammer

Great work, Mike! 5000 was my dad's favorite cat reel; I still have them. I put one of those handles on a 5600CB and love the power.

John

Midway Tommy

Me & round reels ::) don't see eye-to-eye  ;D, but that's one nice rehab, Mike!  :)
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

steelfish

nice Job Mo, nice resurrection right there.

I have the bigger brother of that reel a 6600C, it feels really sturdy and real good shape after all these years but looks like a perfect candidate for a custom paint job (maybe later)

these are pics when I just got it, right now its already serviced and with new drag washers.

The Baja Guy

Gobi King

Mike,
Tell us more about the handle please.
Shibs - aka The Gobi King
Fichigan

mo65

Quote from: Gobi King on August 28, 2018, 11:00:26 PM
Mike,
Tell us more about the handle please.

Here's a thread that discusses these handles. 8)

http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=25864.0

Reel 224

Nice job Mike!.......................Joe
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

Brewcrafter

Great info!  I have a 5000C that is pretty much my "go to" baitcaster at the River, and I will be back at Lake Mohave in about 60 days so I am thinking I should tear into it and give it a once over!

nelz

Great little all-metal reels and so easy to work on. If only they had a more substantial drag! Best I could do was removing the drag clicker and filling in the space with a slightly larger drag disk.

mhc

Nice work Mo - that's a tidy looking 5000C, the older frames were made from pretty solid chromed brass. Just wondering about the main gear - I thought all the ABU main gears were brass on the older round reels, the gear on your reel looks to be silver in the photos??? If it's steel, can I have it please!!  ::) ;D ;D

Mike
It can't be too difficult - a lot of people do it.

mo65

Quote from: nelz on August 29, 2018, 01:16:01 PM
Great little all-metal reels and so easy to work on. If only they had a more substantial drag! Best I could do was removing the drag clicker and filling in the space with a slightly larger drag disk.

The later models have a 3-stack drag, maybe you could modify this model to the later more powerful set up. I guess the way I look at it, using mono, I'm fishing 20lb. line(which is about as heavy as anyone would put on this reel), and the correct drag setting for that line should be 5-8lbs. If you were going to use a stronger braid more drag power might come in handy. 8)

mo65

Quote from: mhc on August 29, 2018, 01:55:29 PM
I thought all the ABU main gears were brass on the older round reels, the gear on your reel looks to be silver in the photos???

Yep...the gear is silver...but it's not steel. It's some kind of aluminum alloy. Although I doubt it's as strong as a bronze gear...it has to be the smoothest cranking Ambassadeur in my stable. 8)

nelz

Quote from: mo65 on August 29, 2018, 02:21:22 PM
Quote from: nelz on August 29, 2018, 01:16:01 PM

The later models have a 3-stack drag, maybe you could modify this model to the later more powerful set up. I guess the way I look at it, using mono, I'm fishing 20lb. line(which is about as heavy as anyone would put on this reel), and the correct drag setting for that line should be 5-8lbs. If you were going to use a stronger braid more drag power might come in handy. 8)

Yeah but they're not built with the same robustness (plastic parts inside). I've moved on anyway, sold all my Abu's for faster more powerful baitcasters.

Btw, I think that gear is indeed steel, just hold a magnet to it and see. I haven't seen any 5000c's with alloy, but your's does look like it could be though. Hmmm ???

mo65

Quote from: nelz on August 29, 2018, 09:29:00 PM
Yeah but they're not built with the same robustness (plastic parts inside). I've moved on anyway, sold all my Abu's for faster more powerful baitcasters.

Btw, I think that gear is indeed steel, just hold a magnet to it and see. I haven't seen any 5000c's with alloy, but your's does look like it could be though. Hmmm ???

When I said "later" models I meant a later 5000c...like the one in this schematic:
https://www.reelschematic.com/wp-content/uploads/schematics/Abu%20Garcia/Round%20Baitcast/5000/AMBASSADEUR%205000C%20BLACK(01-07).pdf

After looking at all the schematics for the 5000C I may have to get one of the later 3-stack models myself. Also, that main gear is definitely aluminum. The only thing steel on it is that drag clicker spring in the center.

nelz

Very interesting, didn't know they made the 5000C with aluminum gears too. Guess I've only encountered the older releases. Anyway, that schematic shows the parts I was referring to. Part #22808 and 20664 being plastic.