Okuma Solterra SLX 20 II 2 speed, binding

Started by Gobi King, August 28, 2018, 10:40:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gobi King

I just received my SLX-20II drop shipped from Okuma.

In the higher gear, I feel the handle is binding when I turn it even in free spool with the drag lever turn all the way down,

I compared it to the Makaira 30 in the pic and Makaira does not bind and very easy to turn, while the solterra

Is there something I did not set right? Sorry my experience with 2 speed reels is quite lacking.
Shibs - aka The Gobi King
Fichigan

alantani

bad bearings.  i went through about 30 of the smaller models.   :-\
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Gobi King

Alan,
Here is the pic for what is worth,

wow, bad batch of bearings?
Thanks, I will give Okuma a quick call.
Fichigan

alantani

it's not because the bearings are cheap or inferior, it's just that they corrode with water intrusion.  it happens with lots of reels. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Gobi King

Gotcha, I will keep a few spare bearings handy,

My Solterra SLX is brand spanking new, makes one wonder how QC missed the bad bearing during assembly.

Anyway, I will call give Okuma a call tomorrow when I back home.
Fichigan

MexicanGulf

Quote from: alantani on August 28, 2018, 10:52:11 PMbad bearings.  i went through about 30 of the smaller models.   :-\
hi Alan, do you have a review for the new okuma solterra slx B 2 speed released in 2023?

boon

I can't see anything other than the color that seems to have meaningfully changed with the SLX B from the original SLX.

My write-up of the SLX 50 II is here:
https://alantani.com/index.php/topic,18535.15.html

Sadly the pictures are probably lost to the sands of time.

MexicanGulf

the new model appears to have been improved mechanically.

boon

Do you have a schematic or anything else to compare? Or any specifics about what these improvements are?
I can't find any information online about what might have changed. From the outside the reels look identical, other than the color obviously.