deleting old/inactive members

Started by alantani, August 21, 2011, 12:54:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alantani

this went out as a newsletter yesterday to all 5600 members.  if you did not get one, please check the e-mail address listed on your profile and make sure it's current.  thanks!  alan

hard to belive that it's been almost 3 years.  in that period of time, we've had 5600 members join, almost 2500 separate topics with 15,000 posts, 1400 individual visitors a day and over 300,000 page view a month.  one problem is that we have 1-2 thousand spam accounts that need to be filtered out.

deleting them individually would be impossible.  what we will be doing is to start by deleting all of those accounts that have never logged in.  so, if you want to keep your account open, you need only log in.  that's it.  if you don't remember your password and cannot recover it, don't worry.  we would have to delete your account anyway.  you can alwways register again.  no one will be banned.  and all of those spam accounts will not be able to re-register because of the spam filters in place.

so that's basically it.  inactive accounts will be deleted on the first of september.  it will be nice to have things cleaned up a little.  alan

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

seaeagle2

I didn't get it,   I checked my email and it's correct
"One life, don't blow it" Kona Brewing
\"If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there\'d be a shortage of fishing poles\" Doug Larson

alantani

alantani

had to send that stupid newsletter twice more.  guys, sorry for the screw up.  just so you know, you don't have to post anything.  this is all just to weed out all of the spammers that have never logged in. 

Bucktail

FYI, I just received the email titled "Fishing Reel Repair by Alan Tani: second try" at 11:08pm EDT.
Just a jig-a-lo

alantani

thanks!  i'm glad it's getting through to somebody.  it kinda doesn't matter, because anyone that i delete can actually hop right back on.  they just have to re-register.  mostly i was hoping to save guys the trouble. 

as far as spammers are concerned, though, they should not be able to re-register because of the spam filters that are now in place.  wish i would have downloaded them three years ago.  would have saved me hours of work.  alan

Fishermans Paradise

no email alan, sorry, please dont delete me!!!

alantani

not to worry.  this is only for accounts that have not logged in ever.  all you have to have done is to have logged in once and you're good!

Taily

Alan, I leave my account logged on at all times (so I don't have to remember the password - as I suffer from infrequent bouts of CRAFT the older I get). Do I need to actually log-out then log back in again, or is just visiting the site enough to keep the log-on safe so that I don't get deleted?

Regards,

Dave
Nunc est bibendum....

kamuwela

as long as you log in your fine. dont get the wrong idea, alan is not trying to get rid of anybody lol. just cleaning house. i think most of us here are hooked.

Nessie Hunter

OH NO !!!   What happened to my account???

LMAO   J/K

I did get a little scared when I saw "Old/Inactive"  though!!!!!!

FYI ~ I never received an Email.  But did see the post, day it was posted....  ;D
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....
WOW!!! WHAT A RIDE!

Norcal Pescador

Quote from: Nessie Hunter on August 22, 2011, 01:47:46 PM

I did get a little scared when I saw "Old/Inactive"  though!!!!!!

I would only be scared if it said "Old/Befuddled". :D :D
Rob

Measure once, cut twice. Or is it the other way around? ::)

"A good man knows his limits." - Inspector Harry Callahan, SFPD

Alto Mare

Quote from: Nessie Hunter on August 22, 2011, 01:47:46 PM

I did get a little scared when I saw "Old/Inactive"   though!!!!!!

I would get scared too.... :o

Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Alto Mare

Quote from: norcal pescador on August 22, 2011, 06:52:32 PM

I would only be scared if it said "Old/Befuddled". :D :D

Rob, I thought old meant befuddled. ;D
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.