Baaa'd To The Bone

Started by ChileRelleno, September 02, 2018, 02:49:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChileRelleno

A rainy Labor Day Weekend here on the Alabama Gulf Coast but I'm not letting it slow my smoking down.  Even though I'm cooking enough to last through tomorrow, today's pace in the kitchen is relaxed as I've spread things out over the day.
Things, lots of things, good things, yummy things... Oh yeah!
What kind'a things you ask? Well let me tell you.

The Menu

Breakfats
Breakfast, a good day deserves a good breakfast to start it out right.
Double Cheese Cheesy Grits with three Sunny Side Eggs

The Lamb
A 5lb Leg of Lamb seasoned with lemon, fresh herbs and spices, slow smoked over Cherry and served with a Lemon and Mint Gremolata.

Ready to hit the smoker

Looking pretty good

IT 146° after resting, perfect medium rare

Smoked Pork Neck Bones-n-Beans
4lbs plus of meaty Pork Neck Bones smoked with hickory over a huge pan of Creole Cream Style Red Beans with onion and bell pepper.

Cast Iron Brussel Sprouts with Bacon, Onion and Garlic

Mac-n-Cheese Waffle experimentation inspired by [USER=69419]@hillbillyrkstr[/USER]
I made the first one with straight mac-n-cheese and it didn't work out very well.
The next batch I added a cup of panko crumbs and an egg to about 3-4C of mac-n-cheese.
All of'em were made with bacon and jalapeno.
Those cooked up much better with a nice consistency.
I found these to be quite interesting, but my wife was ho-hum and my younger kids wouldn't even try them...  Brats.
My wife ate a couple pieces and said it reminded her of cheesy cornbread.

Oddegan's Bacon Grease Ginger Snaps Big and spicy Ginger Snaps with a chewy center of homemade Candied Ginger.
The candied was better than the crystallized, larger, softer and chewier.

The Finale
Ragnar Benson:
"Never, under any circumstances, ever become a refugee.
Die if you must, but die on your home turf with your face to the wind, not in some stinking hellhole 2,000 kilometers away, among people you neither know nor care about."

Alto Mare

John, have you noticed I don't post here anymore? you're the cause! ;D
I could never even come close, so I gave up. :)
You have been showing us some great cooking...keep it up!

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

MarkT

Looks and sounds great except for the grits and Brussel sprouts!
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

RowdyW

Quote from: MarkT on September 02, 2018, 03:11:48 AM
Looks and sounds great except for the grits and Brussel sprouts!
Grits are a redneck thing but I don't know about the sprouts. I would go for a baked tater & green beans (being an original yankee).

conchydong

That lamb looks great. Well everything looks great to be more specific. I was thinking about what I was going cook for Labor day also as it will be a total washout with the tropical wave moving through. Might be a  Grouper and Lobster day cooked indoors instead of traditional BBQ.

A grit lover
Scott

Caranx

Reel 224

I guess I'm a red neck I love grits & Eggs ;) ;D Chili you never do anything half way, great meal as always!........................Joe
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

Hardy Boy

Brussel Sprouts love them or hate them, they are a vegetable that bring out strong opinions ..................... I love them !! Looks great.

Todd
Todd

Maxed Out

I'm born and raised in the PNW, so excuse me for asking.....what the heck are "grits" ??....looks like an albino cow pie to me  :-\

Ted
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

David Hall

Quote from: Maxed Out on September 10, 2018, 10:04:23 PM
I'm born and raised in the PNW, so excuse me for asking.....what the heck are "grits" ??....looks like an albino cow pie to me  :-\

Ted

To an Italian they're Polenta.

I received the honor of cooking for my oldest granddaughters 17th birthday dinner.  She had a bunch of other HS seniors over for an all nighter and she requested ribs.  He mother provided the sides.  So
Five racks of St. Louis ribs, rubbed and smoked over a mix of pecan and cherry wood chunks.
She picked them up at 6:00 and took them home, I snatched enough for the wife and I before sending them off.  Later she came back with an empty bowl.  No need to ask if they enjoyed them, just a smile and thank you Papa.  Oh and they will be back for more this year!

Shark Hunter

Brussel Sprouts, Grits, Bring it on!
Every Family reunion, my uncle Jim makes potato cakes on a coleman stove and deep fried catfish with Cajun seasoning. :P
The only thing I will not partake in is fatback.
I gotta pass on that. It is hard telling what my hillbilly family will cook. Rabbit, Squirrel, A whole deer or pig on a fire pit rotisserie. They don't mess around.
My Family on my Mom's side were all raised in the coal mines.
Whitesburg Ky was the nearest town. Right on the border of Black Rock Virginia.
Had some great times there. Life is different now.
Great job as usual brother John. ;)
Life is Good!

Reel 224

Cheese and grits with eggs every morning, bacon. Polenta is much smother then grits........................Joe
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

ChileRelleno

Quote from: Maxed Out on September 10, 2018, 10:04:23 PM

Ted

Polenta vs Grits
Grits and polenta are made from dried kernels of corn that are ground into different textures.
The coarser particles of the corn become grits, and the granules make the polenta.
Polenta and grits can be replaced for each other as they have many common elements, though polenta is found to be more refined, than grits.
Ragnar Benson:
Die if you must, but die on your home turf with your face to the wind, not in some stinking hellhole 2,000 kilometers away, among people you neither know nor care about."

ChileRelleno

Quote from: RowdyW on September 02, 2018, 03:27:15 AM
Grits are a redneck thing but I don't know about the sprouts.
Well, I do resemble a redneck, especially after a summer day fishing.  ;)
Ragnar Benson:

ChileRelleno

Thanks y'all, love the commentary and compliments.
Y'all crack me up sometimes.
Ragnar Benson: