Fishing report La Paz, BCS

Started by jurelometer, September 05, 2018, 06:45:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jurelometer

I took my own advice in the Loreto thread (http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=21833.msg294826#msg294826) and headed down to La Paz for the last week of August for some saltwater fly fishing.  I wanted to try out a new type of clouser-ish eye that I designed.    Worked pretty well on the yellowfin.  School yellowfin were busting every AM and then once again after the high tide in the afternoon.   There were a bunch of skipjack and a few dorado mixed in with the tuna.   In between the tuna bites, we cruised the various bouys for dorado.  Not a lot around, but we almost always managed to hook a few. There were some roosterfish on the beaches, but they were not very aggressive, which is typical for later summer.

On the last morning, I hooked (and landed) my biggest yellowfin.  It weighed out a shade over 20 kilos.   While not a remarkable fish on conventional gear, it nearly wrecked me on a fly rod.   I had no problem stopping the fish, or even lifting it until the last 120 feet.  Once the fish was directly under the boat and circling, it was a different story, with about half an hour of stalemate.  It was difficult to keep the head up, and the tiny knob on the fly reel didn't allow me to lift by winding, which is my normal trick.   Time for a custom knob...

Also got an oddball.   I thought it was an juvenile African Pompano, but was told it was a threadfin jack.    But after looking up the description and photos,  I think my original ID was right.

Go when you can!

-J

Benni3

Great job,,,on a fly rod that's just cool 8)

steelfish

nice fish amigo, awesome catch on the fly

The Baja Guy

Dominick

Nice.  It's good to be down in Baja.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.