Does it exist? Penn 500 4:1 SS main gear?

Started by stiffblade, August 23, 2011, 04:51:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

stiffblade

To who may know,

Is it true that the old, old Penn 500 reels that used a stainless bridge also used a stainless steel maingear and pinion and they 4:1 gearing? What are the pro/cons to using these gears in a Penn 501 or even a Pro Gear 251/255?

Thanks!!

Stiffblade

alantani

i have never seend a stainless steel combination in an old reel.  there was a plain steel 4:1 gear that was phased out.  i actually have a few, but they will rust if not greased adequately.  the bridge plate was never stainless in the old reels. that might change with the newer chinese jigmasters. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Ratchet

I believe that Carl Newell produced 4:1 stainless steel replacement gears for the Penn 500 Jigmaster many years ago.  My Penn 500S purchased in the late 1970's (with the thumb screw on the left side plate) came with a chromed bridge.  I don't remember if the original Penn gears in that reel were chromed through.

Newell's stainless steel gear sets tend to be noisy but almost never wear out, at least I never actually wore a set out, even after decades of use.

Alto Mare

Quote from: stiffblade on August 23, 2011, 04:51:33 AM
To who may know,

Is it true that the old, old Penn 500 reels that used a stainless bridge also used a stainless steel maingear and pinion and they 4:1 gearing? What are the pro/cons to using these gears in a Penn 501 or even a Pro Gear 251/255?

Thanks!!

Stiffblade

I have never seen a stainless steel bridge on a Penn 500 reel, you are probably referring to the chromed brass bridge :-\. About the gears, the older models came with hardened steel, as Alan mentioned. I have tossed a few of these gears out in the past and not becouse of teeth wear, they need to be well greased, rust will get the best of them.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

stiffblade

Actually it was a maroon sideplated Penn 500 that has the steel gear. I only assumed it was stainless, but it is steel and in great shape, no rust just discolored. Or should I say "patina" from non use!! I did check my Penn 500S and it has the same steel gear. I wanted to put it in my Pro Gear 251 with the SS gear sleeve and use 50lb braid and be able to put some muscle into the reel without having to worry about gear teeth being shredded. As far as the "SS" bridge, yeah it looks more like nickled than chrome, but I am sure it is not SS. I also spoke to Wes that works with Ken from Ken's custom reels and he said it will work with no worries. The only draw back would be the gears being a bit louder.

And rust in my reels after Alan's greasy teachings? Ha never!!

Greasy teachings???.....hmmm, now wasn't that a dirty movie I saw in high school??? ;D  

Alto Mare

Hello Stiffblade,
you're right, after Alan's treatment you'll have no worries with rust. The Jigmaster is a nice reel, with proper maintenance it should last you a long time. Put some muscle into it, but don't overdo it, these  reels are not ment to be pushed over 10 lb. Good luck with your project, the stainless steel sleeve is a good call. Take care, Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

gary902

hi i need to replace main gear and pinon where can i get replacements thankyou

Norcal Pescador

Most (all ???) of us get our Penn parts from www.mysticparts.com in New Jersey.
Good luck with your project - and welcome to the site!
Rob

"Edited as per Moderators to correct Scott's Bait & Tackle over to their new store name Mystic Reel Parts / www.mysticparts.com"
Rob

Measure once, cut twice. Or is it the other way around? ::)

"A good man knows his limits." - Inspector Harry Callahan, SFPD