Accurate sleeve.

Started by REK, August 26, 2011, 06:17:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

REK

Anybody out there sleeve an Accurate BX2 600N? One "N"? Or maybe an older model 665N? Looking to see what the sleeve length would be so I don't have to ship a reel to Jim.

TIA.

alantani

jim made a bunch.  they are $10 with shipping included.  alan
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

REK

Will e-mail Jim.
Asked because last I heard from Jim was he never had this size in his shop to measure.

JGB

So far I have only the following in the Boss Extreme :
Boss Extreem 500N
Boss Ex 500
Boss Ex 600
Boss Ex 600W
Boss Ex 50

Jim N.

Bryan Young

If you guys need sleeves cut, you could send Jim the spool assembly for the measurements and he could cut and fit the sleeves, and provide sleeves for others as well.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Comedie

Quote from: REK on August 26, 2011, 06:17:56 PM
Anybody out there sleeve an Accurate BX2 600N? One "N"? Or maybe an older model 665N? Looking to see what the sleeve length would be so I don't have to ship a reel to Jim.

TIA.
Just did my Boss 665H Narrow a couple hours ago. I cut mine to .968 in length. But that may be longer than needed on other reels. First time I ended up cutting a short one that didn't help at all. Went back and checked the spool closely and found that the bearing on one side would not seat all the way down. Tried another bearing, with same result. Reason is that the counterbore for the bearing does not seem to be all the way straight to the bottom. So second time I measured down the inside with a depth gauge with the bearing 'seated'. Ended up with the longer final measurement for the sleeve, and 'Viola'. 72 seconds of freespool now.

REK

Update on a sleeve for my BX2 600N. Instead of shipping my reel to Jim in San Jose, I borrowed a really good set of micrometers from a local guy. Jim had me measure the width of the outer race of the bearings, which ended up being the exact same as the inner race measurement. Then he had me measure the the width from outer race to outer race as the bearing sat in the spool. From these measurements, he made me a sleeve of .9485+.002 as stated on the card shipped with the sleeve. With the sleeve installed between the bearings, I can detect very, very slight side to side movement/play. And I mean, very slight. Spool spins forever, with no side slop. I think we got the measurement dead nuts right on the money. Thanks Jim.

Somewhat of a disclaimer, OEM Accurate bearing in my spool. Your mileage my vary. I say this as the sleeve I transfered from a B2 500 to a BX2 500 maybe a little long as there is more side slop. Spool spins great and the drags work fine so I'm leaving it as is. It works fine, so I'm not fixing it(killed a gilled/gutted 109# YFT at Alijos, in a hurry).

alantani

the accurates are really nice when the spin like that, huh!
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

REK

Quote from: alantani on December 04, 2011, 06:29:50 AM
the accurates are really nice when the spin like that, huh!

Yup. Quite a difference. Always thought the Accurates are very good out of the box. Then I had them sleeved.

Comedie

Yep, that measuring methodology would work, and not be prone to the error I got from a spool measurement where the bearing failed to fully seat. I had been measuring the spool itself, which would be fine if the bearing fully seated to the bottom of the countersink. But at least one of my reels does not.
I did mine in 304SS. Will try the better measurement methodology when I redo them all in 316SS. I don't need to really, but it will give me a little hands-on with the material and methodology before I do a bunch that I promised someone else.