Just wanted to say a quick hello

Started by coores14, August 27, 2011, 05:06:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

coores14

Greetings to all.  Just registered on here after a month of intensive reading and learning.  a wealth of info, this site is.  lately, i've become interested in servicing my own reels because i tend to live by the philosophy of "if you want it done right, do it yourself". 
   My guinea pig reel was an Offshore Angler brand TLD25 knockoff that has been sitting in the junk pile for a few years. Got that all lubed up and ready to be used as maybe a teaser reel or something. it's pretty cheap, but i'm sure i can find a use for it.  I'm currently working on a Cabo 80 spinner that a friend was getting ready to throw in the trash.  New drags and clutch assembly are on order for that one, along with a full grease treatment.  I'm not much of a fan of these Cabos, but for 20 bucks and some of my time, it could be brought back to life.

Background --- I live in Key West, have been here for nearly 9 years.  Like you all, I live and breathe fishing and boating.  I have my captiain's license, but choose to make my living by NOT fishing.  I tried the charter thing and found that it killed my passion. 
   I tend to be a bluewater guy and love fishing for pelagics, but I spend a lot of time trying to be as well rounded as possible.  Lots of bottom fishing from here to the Dry Tortugas, flats fishing for bones and permit, chasing tarpon during the spring, etc.... I run a 23' Pathfinder DV Offshore with a 2009 Yamaha F250B (full digital controls).  Garmin 5212 with HD24 radar, Furuno 585 sounder with twin Airmar transducers, full JL Audio sound system, and kite/deep drop outlets in the rear.  basically, a hardcore 23' fishing machine. 

I'm glad to be a member of this site and can't wait to learn more and contribute more.  I can also be found regularly on The Hull Truth, the other site that makes me rather unproductive at work!

Norcal Pescador

Quote from: coores14 on August 27, 2011, 05:06:00 PM
"if you want it done right, do it yourself". 

Boy, ain't that the truth!

Welcome aboard from Northern Cal-ee-forn-ya. (I've got some friends living in Marathon.) Hope you find the reel-fixing "hobby" is fun to boot!
Rob
Rob

Measure once, cut twice. Or is it the other way around? ::)

"A good man knows his limits." - Inspector Harry Callahan, SFPD

alantani

welcome!  i usually request a photo of yourself as an avatar, but the one you have already will do!  alan   ;D
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

coores14

haha, ok, i'll abide by the rules.  sorry.  my pooch is my avatar on all of the other forums, so it was just natural for me to do it.  Avatar already changed!

alantani

it actually wasn't a problem!  avatars are by no means mandatory!  again, welcome!!!!
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Nessie Hunter

Welcome......................       :)

Sure do agree with "if you want it done right, do it yourself"......   
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....
WOW!!! WHAT A RIDE!

redsetta

Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

Alto Mare

Sorry, but the pooch did look better ;D. Welcome.....Sal from PA.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.