I love watching JAWS.

Started by JoseCuervo, September 27, 2018, 04:35:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JoseCuervo

Of course, all fishermen love the screaming clicker scene, but my favorites are at the dock;

I like to look at the misc gear some of the folks have in the background, like the guy with the harpoon. There are a few folks with rods that look like they have Penn reels on them but the film quality makes it hard to tell. There are a few guys with poles and no reels on them.. The dynamite always cracks me up too.

Did you ever notice the issue in this pic? Something isn't right.. I have seen the movie 100 times easy and didn't notice it until last night.  I always have a reel or something I am working on in front of me, you can see parts in the reflection.

Rob

1badf350

I pride myself on being the biggest Jaws fan east of the Mississippi. My friends and I can recite the movie word for word in its entirety while spending a couple hours at the local pub. I have replicas or equal examples of every major prop used in the film. Hell, I even have one of the original barrels I purchased from a crew member.
That said, I cannot believe I have never noticed they forgot to install the rod clamp when they mounted the reel!!!  Good eye Jose!!!!

Speaking of the background, anybody notice all the Harnell rods being used by the fishermen? Quint even has a big Harnell at the top of the stairs in his shop.
-Chris

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."
John Wayne as J.B. Books in "The Shootist"

thorhammer

I noticed the barrel in a pic you had of something else way back!! I figured it was a live well or something...awesome!

Gfish

I watched a nature program yesterday bout Fall a 2015 shark attacks on Oahu. Made me nervous cause I go out in Hawaiian waters on a kayak once/week and it's dark when I start out. In fact it made me real anxious watchin clips of Jaws on U-tube. So either don't fish from my yak, or, stop watchin stuff like that. Easy choice!
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Tiddlerbasher

Quote from: 1badf350 on September 27, 2018, 06:50:52 PM
I pride myself on being the biggest Jaws fan east of the Mississippi. My friends and I can recite the movie word for word in its entirety while spending a couple hours at the local pub. I have replicas or equal examples of every major prop used in the film. Hell, I even have one of the original barrels I purchased from a crew member.
That said, I cannot believe I have never noticed they forgot to install the rod clamp when they mounted the reel!!!  Good eye Jose!!!!

Speaking of the background, anybody notice all the Harnell rods being used by the fishermen? Quint even has a big Harnell at the top of the stairs in his shop.

If that is from the original - NOPE didn't notice that before  ::)

Shark Hunter

I love Jaws as well.
Most of Jaws 2 was filmed in Navarre. My favorite Vacation Destination.
Just like mose sequels. The first is always the best.
I want to see that new movie called Meg.
I heard it is pretty good.

Life is Good!

1badf350

Another thing I noticed is that Robert Shaw said the wrong date of 29 June 1945 as the date the Indianapolis was sunk. It actually sank 30 July 1945.
-Chris

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."

1badf350

Quote from: thorhammer on September 27, 2018, 07:06:42 PM
I noticed the barrel in a pic you had of something else way back!! I figured it was a live well or something...awesome!
Nope it's the real deal. Those scuba tanks and beer cans should look familiar too.
The only major prop I don't have is the WW Greener Light Harpoon Gun. Those are very rare and very expensive.

-Chris

thorhammer

HS dude, that may be the man cave of all caves.....all you need is a porthole window over the sofa...I'm easily distracted by Fenwick baubles...

Benni3

0Oooh wow,,,,,now that's cool,,,,it looks like you're ready to go sharking  ;D

mo65

Quote from: 1badf350 on September 28, 2018, 10:12:09 AM
Another thing I noticed is that Robert Shaw said the wrong date of 29 June 1945 as the date the Indianapolis was sunk. It actually sank 30 July 1945.

I read somewhere that Robert Shaw was drunk as a monkey during most of the filming of Jaws. Ha! Sure didn't weaken his performance...did it? :D
   Also, a few days ago I was watching a James Bond film, and he was fishing what looked like a 9/0 Senator. I can't for the life of me remember which movie it was...it was during one of those Bond marathons. :-\
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

JoseCuervo

Mo, you need to let me know which, I don't recall seeing JB actually fishing, but in Never Say Never Again he is posing with a fish.

In that same movie a gal hooks up James with a lure.. I think after that he apparently caught the fish with her gear from that same boat, but I don't know that it was ever shown.

Another Bond film with fishing as a semi-sort of plotline was Thunderball.

Rob

thorhammer

I have three of those Magnaflex rods, and the Gen 1 Int. for them. very nice fit and finish with leather wrap. I do recall someone fishing and I think it may have caught Bond's Lotus or something.....

mo65

Quote from: JoseCuervo on September 28, 2018, 05:22:39 PM
Mo, you need to let me know which, I don't recall seeing JB actually fishing, but in Never Say Never Again he is posing with a fish.

There are actually several films where he's on a fishing boat, so I thought hard about it, and I seemed to remember it being in Live or Let Die. Sure enough, I found this recording of it on Youtube. I started the clock right before the reel shows. The view of the reel is so brief I'm not sure what it really is now! 8)

~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

JoseCuervo

Thanks Mo. LALD was never one of my favorites. I'll have to dig it out, that YT clip doesn't do it justice. When the boat is backed into the dock it looks like there are two large rigs on the starboard side.

;D