The 1000 Ultralight

Started by mo65, October 03, 2018, 08:27:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mo65

I searched the archives here for any posts about this reel, couldn't find a single one. Searched the interwebs for a schematic...might as well have been looking for Hoffa. Was this little reel that horrible, that it had been forgotten to time? I began to wonder if my huge $27 investment was a mistake. When it arrived the blood pressure stabilized. This was standard DAM Quick fare. Built for the long haul. About the only thing I could pick on is the finish of the aluminum parts. They are not nearly as polished as earlier Quicks.
   This first photo is the reel disassembled. As you can see, I didn't have a lot of work to be performed here. This reel had the easiest bearing to remove of any Quick I've torn down...it practically fell out...slid right off the worm drive. No wear on any parts, I'm pretty sure this reel has never had line on it.

These three components almost guarantee this reel will be passed down for generations. A rock solid bearing, worm drive, and drive gear. Precision machining...smooth as silk. 

And back into their places. A no-nonsense mechanism, I often wonder if aliens influenced these old Quick designs. ;D

Here is that aluminum I complained about. I don't think it's anodized. I'd have to remove the sticker to properly polish the spool. I don't think I want to take a chance on tearing that thing.

It's a little shinier now, after some Brasso. Same story with the handle, it would require some heavy polishing to get the mirror shine of the earlier models' handles.

Very interesting drag stack on this model. I guess because the size is so small adding additional friction discs offers little improvement. I know...I tried. The single disc design is just fine here. Another point of interest is the friction disc's material. Not your standard DAM Quick Resistex here. It's softer, flexible, almost looks like a composite cork of some kind. Whatever it is...it works well.

All in all...this is a fantastic reel. They don't seem to turn up on auction sites a lot, and parts are even more scarce than the reel. If it ever did break down...game over! 8)

~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

xjchad

Mo,
Great job, that looks like another great little indestructible reel!  8)
Husband, Father, Fisherman

foakes

Nice job, and great photos, Mike!

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Midway Tommy

Well done, Mike! It's a nice little reel. I've got a 1001 NIB that I like the feel of a lot.

Here's a little tip. That little oval bumper on the bail trip mechanism will, if it hasn't already, get brittle, and disintegrate with use. You will never find that part but one of the smaller sized vinyl tubings is a perfect fit. It's a little tight but slips over the metal and works perfectly. I made a dozen or so when I replaced the one on mine. Mine had never been used and the guy that had it couldn't figure out why the bail wouldn't work. I already had the tubing so cost was 0. One of the best $5 I ever spent, I even got an extra spool in the box.  ;D   
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

mo65

Quote from: Midway Tommy on October 03, 2018, 09:14:24 PM
That little oval bumper on the bail trip mechanism will, if it hasn't already, get brittle, and disintegrate with use.   

It looks pretty brittle alright. I have a pretty good supply of vinyl tubings...weed eater fuel lines and such...Thanks for the tip Tom!

philaroman

$27???  $5???   is there a salivating emogi?

don't these go up to $150+, second only to their 5000/5001 big mamas?

foakes

Quote from: philaroman on October 03, 2018, 10:21:47 PM

Yes they do.  That is why when figuring average eBay prices — I take the last (10) SOLD reels — toss out the highest and lowest — then average the other eight.

That is a more accurate number for that month.

Many of these quality well made spinning reels from the 70's & 80's — will nearly always return your investment — with a good appreciation bonus.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Midway Tommy

Quote from: philaroman on October 03, 2018, 10:21:47 PM
$27???  $5???   is there a salivating emogi?

You are correct, and believe me, Phil, I couldn't get my wallet open fast enough. I tried really hard not to give my excitement away with facial expression.  ;D  There's a small bass boat club flea market here in Feb, where I got that 1001, and I've come across a few real/reel deals there. One show about five years ago my wife just about broke a couple of my ribs with her elbow getting my attention when she spotted three spinners in boxes, all from the same guy. Two were Penns that had never been on a rod, a 712 & a 420SS, both with an extra spool & both still wrapped in the parchment paper. The other was an ABU Cardinal 52 that had been used but it didn't even have a scratch on the foot. Got all three (going price on eBay @ around $300+) for $51. Gave her a big kiss over that one.    :-*
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

philaroman

seriously, I hereby petition for the drooling emogi, as well as the animated hammer to the head, to be added to the "quick picks"

mo65

Hee hee...what's next? Somebody gonna post where they gave 'em 10 bucks to just take the reel? 8)

Reel 224

;D ;D That turned out great Mo.........................Joe
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

happyhooker

Brewcrafter

That is a beautiful reel!  And I am loving the custom emojis in this thread as well.

handyandy

I'm very envious I have a 1000 I need to work on, but yours is in much better shape and you got it cheaper than me. Think I gave around 40 for mine it's in decent shape, but your lucky yours has the side cap I can't find any of those little caps for my 1000 or 1001 to save my life.

mo65

Quote from: handyandy on October 12, 2018, 04:50:11 PM
You're lucky yours has the side cap I can't find any of those little caps for my 1000 or 1001 to save my life.

Hi Andy! Yep...parts for this model are hard to find...even harder than the earlier models. The consolation is, if you find a complete reel, they are rock solid. After a proper servicing it's probably never going to need a part. 8)