Chasing trout in Turangi, New Zealand

Started by redsetta, August 28, 2011, 11:05:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

redsetta

Hi all,
Just returned from a couple of days chasing trout in Turangi (in the centre of New Zealand's North Island) and thought I'd share a few pics from the weekend.
We hit it early and were in position on the Tongariro River pre-dawn.
Cold and clear conditions, with just a few wispy clouds (maybe 1-2C or about 34F).
The water was unusually clear due to there being almost no rain in the past six weeks (plenty of snow, though).

A rainbow at dawn was a nice touch.

Out on the river now and working hard for the first fish of the day...

The early morning view up and down the river at the next pool.
The run of spawning trout appears to be getting later and later each year as the climate changes.
August used to be peak season, but it's closer to October now.
It made for hard fishing - I'd probably tried a dozen rigs (ie fly combinations) by now and mixed 'nymphing' and 'wet fly' set ups a couple of times.

Another pool and another stunning vista.

Now we moved down river, closer to the lower reaches, hoping to find some fishing moving up from Lake Taupo.

Here we're fishing what's known as the Crescent Pool, due to the hefty crescent-shaped bank on the far side.
And now things start to heat up - this is my mate Ryan bringing in a rainbow jack (ie male).

Success!

Onto day two and another array of spots (and several kilometres of hiking).
Upriver in the left-hand shot it what's known as the Bridge Pool, just under New Zealand's main north-south highway - Highway One.
The right-hand shot is downriver to another series of pools and runs.

And here's my fish - a 4lb rainbow hen.
It fought me about 50 metres downriver and was great fun - leaping, tail-walking and somersaulting, as well as a series of blistering runs.

Last shot - the jack above and the hen below.
A cracker weekend all round, despite the relatively slim pickings (and losing the rugby).

Righto, hope that's of some interest.
All the best, Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

wallacewt

great stuff.fished over there myself a few times.

Alto Mare

Very nice Justin,
I bet the pictures don't do it justice. I remember catching trout with my dad in Italy, about 40 years ago, me and my brothers weren't allowed to eat them, he would get good money from selling them to doctors and lawers, but every now and then we got a taste. Great looking fish. thanks for sharing.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Norcal Pescador

Great report Justin! Beautiful scenery. Nice, well-fed 'bows.  :) :)
Rob
Rob

Measure once, cut twice. Or is it the other way around? ::)

"A good man knows his limits." - Inspector Harry Callahan, SFPD

redsetta

Cheers lads - appreciate the feedback.
Hope life's treating you all well.
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

Steve-O

Beautiful Scenery, Photos and Fish! good onya! Thanks for sharing, Justin.

Steve-O

Bryan Young

:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D