Penn 970 insert kit...

Started by Alto Mare, October 11, 2018, 06:17:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alto Mare

Adam sent me an insert kit to check about a month ago, sorry Adam, I'm just now getting a chance

Even though the insert is shallow, the ears will need to be shaved a little, so the insert sits flat at the bottom of the gear

Carbon fiber washers look really good and I also like the thickness of almost 1mm

keyed washers are .75mm

Adam did a great job calculating thickness of both washers, the fourth washer sits nice and flush with the top lip of the gear, without having to force it in

tolerance is tight on the 970, the thick washer on top is hitting the plate and the bridge doesn't sit properly.
This is a minor issue, all is needed is to replace that thick keyed washer with another .75mm keyed washer.

the bridge sits as it should now

The spring washer gets set above the spacer, under the star.
I have a few dozen of these reels and most are set up that way

I pushed the reel to 26lbs and the line peeled of very smoothly

It still had more, but there was no need.

This reel has ( 7 ) working sides on the drag washers.

Adam, great job as usual!
As you know, this is one of my favorite reel, thanks to you it is now even better.

I do want to mention that when sending kits for testing, it is always a good idea to add one or two washers extra.
I had to borrow one from the 113H kit, that kit has now one missing.
I could make one, but they are a pain to do.

I like this kit!

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

mo65

Fabulous! I don't have a 970 yet...but when I do happen on to one I'd set it up like yours Sal...the handle and clamp look awesome. Great work Adam! 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Three se7ens

Thanks Sal, that looks like it worked out pretty well.  How thick do you think I could make the top washer without it hitting?  Ill get some washers out to you asap.

xjchad

Sal,
I installed a kit in my 970 as well.  I did notice the thick washer on top would not allow me to use the original spacer sleeve, but did not interfere with the side plate by itself.  I'm wondering if our reels came with different side plate/spacer sleeve designs?

I ended up making a custom spacer from some 316 stainless tubing and still using the taller washer on top of the stack.

I also placed the spring washer on top of the sleeve and under the star as you did.

I'm hoping to test it on a big fish Saturday morning  ;D

Adam,
I was working on some CAD drawings for you with all the necessary dimensions but my computer crashed and I won't get it back until next week.
I'll hopefully get them to you soon after.
Thanks again for this awesome upgrade!
Husband, Father, Fisherman

Alto Mare

Quote from: mo65 on October 11, 2018, 06:22:38 PM
  Fabulous! I don't have a 970 yet...but when I do happen on to one I'd set it up like yours Sal...the handle and clamp look awesome. Great work Adam! 8)
Mo, you will like these reels.

Quote from: Three se7ens on October 11, 2018, 07:30:10 PM
Thanks Sal, that looks like it worked out pretty well.  How thick do you think I could make the top washer without it hitting?  Ill get some washers out to you asap.

Yes Adam, this worked out nicely. I used a washer from the 113h kit , I think those are .85mm.
No worries on the extra washer, add one in on my next order... I will remind you

Quote from: xjchad on October 11, 2018, 07:52:36 PM
Sal,
I installed a kit in my 970 as well.  I did notice the thick washer on top would not allow me to use the original spacer sleeve, but did not interfere with the side plate by itself.  I'm wondering if our reels came with different side plate/spacer sleeve designs?

I'm hoping to test it on a big fish Saturday morning  ;D

I'm not sure why yours didn't  Chad.

I do see the insert sticking out more than mine, I had to shave the ears because the 970 main gear doesn't have slots that go all the way down, they're close but not all the way.

I did notice your reel is older than mine, maybe the bottom of the gear has worn a bit more, or maybe the previous owner has sanded down the side plate a little, it is hard to say from here.

I do have a Delrin washer for under the gear and is the only way I would go. Is yours set up the same?
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

xjchad

Sal,
I did use the delrin washer that Adam sent with the kit.
I'll take another look at the insert and make sure it's seated all the way down in the gear.
You do have the same spacer sleeve that I did though huh?

Alto Mare

Yes, I have the same spacer sleeve. It doesn't take much, maybe your main gear is just worn a bit more than mine, that makes the most sense to me.
There isn't much room in there in the first place, that is why Penn installed the spring washer on the exterior.
They actually used two there on some.

As mentioned, it isn't really a big deal. If I was offering the kits, I would just go with the way I set mine up whether it's hitting or not, that would take the guess work out and still be functional. It's nice to gain room in these if you could.

Three se7ens

Sal, between the testing and you installing these in customer reels, you should have extras on hand.  Ill put together some spare washers for all I can this week and send them your way. 

I didnt bevel the bottom edge of the ears because the gear you sent me was drilled all the way to the bottom.  If some gears are not, Ill bevel all of them in the production kits.  I want these to be as close to drop-in as possible. 

Based on your experience with the other kits, what drag do you think it will top out at?  Mid 30's?

xjchad

Adam,
WOuld you mind mailing me one thinner washer as well please?
I'd like to take mine apart and look at it again based on Sal's findings.
Thank you,
Chad

Three se7ens

Quote from: xjchad on October 11, 2018, 11:04:51 PM
Adam,
Thank you,
Chad

will do

xjchad

Quote from: Three se7ens on October 11, 2018, 11:08:00 PM
Quote from: xjchad on October 11, 2018, 11:04:51 PM
Adam,
Thank you,
Chad

will do

Thank you Sir!

PS- Adam, I'm sorry if I came off as demanding, I didn't mean it that way.  I'll gladly pay for it, I may not use it depending on the fit in my reel.
Thank you!

Alto Mare

Quote from: Three se7ens on October 11, 2018, 10:50:14 PM
Sal, between the testing and you installing these in customer reels, you should have extras on hand.  Ill put together some spare washers for all I can this week and send them your way. 

I didnt bevel the bottom edge of the ears because the gear you sent me was drilled all the way to the bottom.  If some gears are not, Ill bevel all of them in the production kits.  I want these to be as close to drop-in as possible. 

Based on your experience with the other kits, what drag do you think it will top out at?  Mid 30's?

Adam, I think I found the issue with the slots on the gears

all slots go all the way down, but on the  ( 4 ) sets on the right they stopped just short
You could see it by the bit mark at the bottom, it diesn't show on the gears on the right

it isn't much, but it dies hold the insert up a little.

This reel is not designed as usual, the spool is smaller that the squidder and yet the spool shaft is as large as the 6/0.
Here I'm comparing the shaft with the Jigmaster
The bridge is beefier than the 113H and yet, if I remember correctly,  this reel is rated lower than the Jigmaster

With your kit it will pretty much take you to the 30's, But keep in mind, these are test numbers and not fishable numbers.
Im not sure  the pinion would hold up, but they are pretty tough.

My take is that this reel falls between the custom Jigmaster and the custom 113H.

Penn rated their stock Jigmasters at 17 max, I personally rated the custom Jigmaster at 22 max, but keep in mind this is just my opinion.
I believe the 970 would do a little better than the Jigmaster.

Sal