When to Change Drags

Started by xaf, August 30, 2011, 12:57:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

xaf

I just saw a guy fight a big fish (probably a shark) for almost an hour.  He was using a Penn Senator 6/0 reel that got so hot you could not touch the side.  I swear at one point I saw smoke coming from the reel.  Does this mean an automatic drag washer change?  Can one time use such as described destroy a set of drag washers?

Ratchet

>Does this mean an automatic drag washer change?

In my experience, the short answer is no, but you still should inspect the insides for damage to the right-side bearing and grease/oil migration into the drag washers because of the heat.  HT-100 carbon fiber drag washers are very durable compared to leather or asbestos so if you are using the former and your reel has been properly lubricated, all should be good.  While you are at it, don't forget to inspect your fishing line and replace if needed and get back to fishing.

alantani

i've greased the grungiest drag washers and they've come out fine.  first, go in the an old rag and clean it up as best you can to "raise the grain," so to speak.  even if they are badly glazed, they will still probably work ok.  just throw them back in and give them a yank to see if they are smooth enough.  alan
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!