Shimano Speedmaster driveshaft - does the screw need loctite?

Started by CapeFish, August 30, 2011, 01:33:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CapeFish

Hi All,

Please can you assist. THe Shimano speedmaster driveshaft with the screw that fastens it instead of the circlip as in the attached picture, does it require some loctite threadlocker to keep it in place?

Many thanks for the advice,
Cheers,
Leon

alantani

honestly, i would still use grease.  just bear down on in until it is good and tight.  it should hold just fine.  just be aware in case it loosens. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

CapeFish

Thanks Alan,
I will make sure to crank it properly, with loctite it does seem like it is a disaster waiting to happen especially being 2 different kinds of metal

alantani

the problem is using loctite on previously dry threads will not prevent corrosion. 

Dominick

Alan:  I had a problem with a loose screw on a handle replacement (Sal no comments about a screw loose :D).  I had to put Loctite on it to keep in place.  I was wondering if gasket sealer would accomplish the same thing as greasing (water intrusion protection), yet gasket sealer does not totally harden but dries like a soft glue.  Also the screw can be turned out when it is needed to be loosened.  I expect that gasket sealer would protect from both water intrusion and loosening from vibration, especially on internal parts where one cannot monitor the tightness.  Gasket sealer will also protect the parts from corrosion.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

alantani

if you are having a problem with things loosening up, go for the loctite.  if you are not having a problem, i would rather see you stick with grease.  too many times i've been stuck trying to back out a corroded screw and wished that the guy before me had dabbed on just a little bit of grease.  

wallacewt

you might like to try a bit of mono fishing line.i only use loctite where i must.cheers

Alto Mare

Quote from: Pescachaser on August 31, 2011, 02:13:56 AM
Alan:  I had a problem with a loose screw on a handle replacement (Sal no comments about a screw loose :D).  I had to put Loctite on it to keep in place.  I was wondering if gasket sealer would accomplish the same thing as greasing (water intrusion protection), yet gasket sealer does not totally harden but dries like a soft glue.  Also the screw can be turned out when it is needed to be loosened.  I expect that gasket sealer would protect from both water intrusion and loosening from vibration, especially on internal parts where one cannot monitor the tightness.  Gasket sealer will also protect the parts from corrosion.  Dominick

Dominick, no comment about your screw being loose, you already know that ;D. Use loctite only if you must! I have some  housings that can't do much with them, someone really liked to use loctite on those screws. Sometimes things don't work out the way you want them to, you can try heat and everything else to remove the screw and you'll still ruin the part. Cast aluminum parts will give before the stainless steel screws will.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Valk

Hallo

Busy servicing Shimano Speedmaster IV (Drive shaft moves from side to side) The image/attachment in this post does not open for some or other reason, is the photo still available somewhere, alternatively what does this screw look like that is depicted in the post. Can a second circlip be used if there is too much play on the shaft?