Non Reel related question...

Started by Board4life, August 31, 2011, 06:30:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Board4life

what do you guys do with your rusted pliers? Not bad rust. Just enough to get stiff. Is there a magic potion to soak them in?

Pro Reel

50/50 blend of acetone and transmision fluid. That beat every penetrant on the market in a mechanics tip test.

Board4life

alantani

i've got a wire wheel on my bench grinder.  i brush off all the old rust and hit it with corrosion x spray. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Board4life

wire wheel... I got to get one of those. Might have to get a bench to put it on as well.

Dominick

I was down in Baja and the mate on the boat had a pair of wire cutters that was frozen closed with rust.  He put it in the live bait well and after about an hour it was working.  It was still rusty but it was working.  Strange?  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

franky

Quote from: Pescachaser on August 31, 2011, 08:05:17 PM
I was down in Baja and the mate on the boat had a pair of wire cutters that was frozen closed with rust.  He put it in the live bait well and after about an hour it was working.  It was still rusty but it was working.  Strange?  Dominick

Hey Dominick,

That doesn't supprise me.;D  Its like that old saying..."sometimes you gotta fight fire with fire".

Did you notice?  Sometimes when you have a stuck and stubborn nut on a bolt, rather than trying to loosen it, you might be better off trying to actually tighten it first and then try and loosen it.  :-\

By diving your frozen rusted cutters into the salt water, I can see the salt actually breaking down some of the rust.

You know whats neat?  Try diving your frozen rusted cutters into a cup filled with fresh CocaCola Soda.  ;D  You'll be amazed on how acitic Coke Soda can be.  :o  and we drink this stuff..... ;D

Dominick

Franky:  Thanks for that, now I have a good excuse to drink zinfandel ;).  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Nessie Hunter

I have a pair of old needle nose pliers that are maybe 5 or 6 yrs old.. 
Only Says made in China!!! 

When I first got them, I knew from past experience they would be a rust bucket and not even open after the first outing....... Typical...

I rubbed them down with Oust Met-Ol and worked it into the joint etc....
Pre-use service !!!  (like my Reels)

They are still like new (almost)... They have been on 7 day trips and many shorter runs, Tons of Day trips on Private Boats, spent a lot of time in Cabo (Several trips) and been to almost every freshwater source in 3 States....

Just starting to get some rust along a few edges... 
But still in great shape and even Cut line very well.

Draw your own conclusions!!!      ;D

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....
WOW!!! WHAT A RIDE!