Avet frame wear question...

Started by Board4life, August 31, 2011, 06:48:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Board4life

I was given this mxj to pretty up for a friend and noticed some wear on the frame. Anyone have any ideas on how this happens or how to avoid it from continuing?

Reel...

Damage on the reel...

I was thinking, since it is on the crossbar in the back that it was wear from removing old line. Are these frames that sensitive?

Thanks

Humboldtfisher

To me, it looks like your friend hooks his lures to the frame and over time this habit has scratched the cross bar.

Ross

alantani

agreed.  thin anodizing and gouges from hooks hanging on the crossbar. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Board4life

That was my first thought as well. The only problem is it is on the wrong side for that. It is the bottom bar closest to you when fishing and the marks are on the far side of the bar. He would have to wrap the line around the reel then hook his lure in order to get those marks on that side. Obviously it is something he is doing a lot but can't narrow it down. I might just have to aim my GoPro at him the entire fishing trip next time to see what he is doing...lol.

sinkerswim

Sure looks like something is banging the crossbar and dinging it. What that is? Your friend should be able to answer that.

As for the reelwrap. Would probably help to get a good price in the resale market. However, I bought my reels to fish them. If they get rash, or dings, so be it. Got some 20+ year old reels minor boat rash. Some reels are better anodized with thicker aluminum than others. Abuse will damage even the best though. Back to reelwrap seems like a whole lot of work that is needed to get some marginal protection and costly at that. Sure there are some guys who will like this product. Definitely not for me.

My wife once suggested we get plastic slipcovers. That was one suggestion, there haven't been many, I successfully struck down. Couches are meant to comfortably be sat on not admired. Just as reels are to be fished. To each his own.

mackereljoe

Possibly mounted the reel upside down and reel backwards with a left hand?  That will make it fun in a wide open albacore bite.   

wallacewt

upside down,backwards,left hand
ow ya no dat joe?

Board4life

I'm lost on this one. I'll just tell him to be more careful with his toys. I was just hoping someone had similar damage and knew the problem.

wallacewt

on a more serious note get him to put a hook clip under his rod.(o/h reels)on top (spin) hanging your hooks off the line guides has the same effect and causes your line to break,esp; braid.

redsetta

Adding to Wallace's post - if the rod doesn't already have a hook keeper, I usually just cable-tie a small split ring to the base of the rod (ie just above the fore-grip).
Cheers, Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

SoCalAngler

There are couple things I do to help reduce boat rash. First get reel covers for your reels. After I mount my reels to rods and tie on whatever I want fish with on any given setup I replace the reel covers when I rack my rods. When I grab a rod to fish I take off the cover fish it, if I want to change setups I replace the reel cover and do the same to the next setup.

I go black when I buy Avets. Avet has always had a problem with whom does their anodisation, if you get a colored reels other black and silver (and sometimes even silver) you will notice that all reels do not match perfectly in color from batch to batch or say from a SX to a MX to a JX and so on. Even when we would get batch of reels into the shop I worked at most of the time reels that were meant to be the same color didn't match one another. Their anodisation is a bit lacking IMO but if you go with black reels this is the thickest anodisation, hardest to scratch and seems to always match from batch to batch and through their whole model range.

Irish Jigger

Quote from: sinkerswim on September 01, 2011, 03:04:48 AM
Sure looks like something is banging the crossbar and dinging it. What that is? Your friend should be able to answer that.

Yes,Board4life, please ask your friend how this damaged occurred. I'm sure there are others like me who remain puzzled by these crossbar marks.

Board4life

Quote from: Irish Jigger on September 02, 2011, 08:54:28 AM
Quote from: sinkerswim on September 01, 2011, 03:04:48 AM

Yes,Board4life, please ask your friend how this damaged occurred. I'm sure there are others like me who remain puzzled by these crossbar marks.

That was the first thing I did when I seen the marks. He has no clue what caused them. Like I said... to me it looks like someone was removing the braid and pulled it off in that direction causing a groove in the frame.

alantani

look at the groove on the far left.  there is now way that this groove was caused by the spectra.  nor the others, i suspect.

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!